Explore GameReplays...

Rise of Legends

Inermis vs. FunFloaterHun

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1EPIC Perfection Sep 19 2006, 03:29 AM
Review by Mard

Link to original topic here. Note: It has pics.

-= FunFloaterHun -vs- Inermis =-
Map: Umberto Lowlands
Game Duration: 33:25

Overview: A quick infantry raid by Inermis does little to harm FunFloaterHun, and actually spurs his opponent to retaliate and bring the battle home. After his point, most action takes place on Infermis's own border, despite the earlier attempt to gain initiative. FunFloaterHun keeps Inermis right where he wants him, until he finally gains enough advantages from Inermis's small mistakes to declare himself victor. Lots of action with raids and a rush, but the real battleground in this game is the small field seperating FunFloaterHun's fortress and Inermis's most vulnerable city.

FunFloaterHun - Vinci
District order: mer -> mer -> mil -> mer

Pros:
+ Strong scouting. You kept them alive (mostly), and had them in key locations to monitor your opponent.
+ Your strong early-game attacks forced Inermis into a turtling position, which he never really shook off. Nice work.
+ Your picked a smart location for Zeke to harrass, but I don't think you picked the right targets. You chose to destroy his mine, then his capital. I would have destroyed mine, then also destroyed the nearby sand circle. Either way, you did serious damage.
+ Your seige was spot-on perfect at nearly every point. Kept your opponent on his toes with minimal investment.
+ Your pirata raids were devestating, and likely determined this outcome of the game more than anything else. The speed at which his circles died to your pirata armada almost seems OP, in my eyes.

Cons:
- Early on, you often had 100-200 of each resource. I think if you spent these on units, you would have had a greater early-game advantage (which could have translated to an earlier win). Or you could have been more aggressively booming tongue.gif
- You really needed units throughout the game. I was constantly checking to see if your barracks was producing anything, since you seemed to have the resources available. A few more units here and there would have given you a large advantage further pressuring your opponent.
- Minor efficiency nitpick: at one point you had two mines built, and you were sending miners to new timonium patches... but you had yet to fill your second mine! It had two slots left (six slots total), and would have been a perfect spot to spend 100 wealth to boost income.

Player summary: FunFloaterHun is an excellent player and gave Inermis the challenge he was no doubt looking for. After a failed raiding attempt by Inermis, FFH put the pressure right back on him and kept Inermis in his own territory for the majority of the game. At first glance, his Steam Fortress was placed in a weak location... but he used it well and eventually took control of the map from this unignorable position. Were those UPGRADED SCOUTS that I saw?!
Player score: 7.5/10

Inermis - Alin
District order: mag -> mer -> mer -> mil

Pros:
+ Sawu came out just in time for you to prevent losses from FFH's retaliation raid smile.gif
+ Same as FFH, your scouting was superb.
+ Your use of Magic Wind was exemplary. Both a sneak attack and evacuation tool, very well done.

Cons:
- Around 10:30, take a look at your idles in the center. They have been idle for a few moments, while an important battle is taking place at your eastern-most city. I took a screenshot a little while after this event, please take a look below for more information about this important turning point.
- You should really rebuild your scouts sad.gif It's a strength of Alin to be able to produce them at any city, you never have to worry about having some building up if your scout dies... just pop one out!
- Minor point: you should definitely summon marids sooner. If you use them at the start of the battle (or as soon as the ability resets after glass prison), then they will absorb some unfocused damage from your opponent while doing their own damage. If you summon them AFTER the battle has taken place too long, then they will just die and be wasted (unless you use them to guarantee escape of your hero or other important units).
- At one point, you sent 5 Heartseekers to the western-most city and took out a scout and a couple random units FFH had left loose there. They should have attacked the neutral city after that (see screenshot, again).
- Around 20-25 minutes you lost a sand circle to pirata, and never rebuilt it. This was a major mistake. I would have placed it near the wall on the eastern side that you were fighting. Maybe another near the city on the west that you should have captured by now tongue.gif
- You started massing resources near the end, but I think this was because you were frantically acting to save your nation, and don't think it's a problem you normally run across. Still, if you're LC and happen to notice you have 500 timo, make Great City your first priority.

Player summary: With a few small adjustments to playstyle, this game may have had a drastically different result. I was surprised to watch FFH try to punish Inermis for his mistakes, and Inermis held up to said punishment with ease. He got pushed into a turtling position by a stronger player, but recognizing that he was affected this way will allow him to break free of it in future games, and the results should be exciting. Just out of curiosity, do you often find yourself weakest in the end-game, Inermis?
Player score: 6/10

Educational value: 7/10 - Interesting move with a Magic Wind, though it had little effect this game, it could be put to better use with practice. It's not really a NEW move, but it's a rare one!
Entertainment value: 7/10 - Both players were roughly even until the end, and there was frequent action on both halves of the map.
Game Score: 7/10 - ROTW Contender.

Screenshots!
(Oy, I kept uploading these screenshots and forgetting to draw all over them first. Sorry for wasting bandwidth, gr.org!)
Okay, in this first image you have a decent number of idle units in the center of the map, while you fight an important battle for control over the eastern city. You ignore them for a few moments, then finally opt to send them on a raid (see the red line and circle on mini-map). In my opinion, this was the worst of your three decisions. Either capturing the western city (left yellow circle), or aiding your units at the eastern city (right yellow circle) would have benefited you much more. Your raid was deflected and by the time your units made it to the east, half of your total units have been destroyed.
IPB Image

In this second image, you've got a few idle units by your capital, but not enough to do anything significant on their own. Meanwhile, blue's pirata are seen to the west of your capital attacking your timo mine. Two options here:
1) build more heartseekers to support these two units in fighting blue's pirata
2) building a scorpion and sending these two units and the scorpion to capture the western city
Both would have been appropriate moves. Instead, these units sat here for a minute or two smile.gif
IPB Image

This post has been edited by Natey of Heroes: Sep 19 2006, 12:55 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File Umberto_Lowlands__Inermis_FunFloaterHun.rec
Size: 467.06k
Number of downloads: 135
Player Name Side Team
Inermis 6
FunFloaterHun 6

Clan: EPIC

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Natey Sep 19 2006, 13:04 PM
Medals awarded, congratz guys! biggrin.gif

Clan: Teh Staff

Game: None

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)