Explore GameReplays...

Supreme Commander

The marvels of the CONSOLE..

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1MaDDoX Nov 3 2006, 11:30 AM
So AGMLauncher is dissing on our beloved Supcom 'coz it totally fails providing the "sense of scale" with those boring top-down angle and always-zoomed-out strategic icons? Well, he apparently has a point 'coz the default camera and scrolling (lack of) options are just pitiful. Fear not though, MaDDoX to the rescue! Now you'll learn how to solve this and many other problems by dominating the most powerful asset for game customization ever developed, and unhappifully dropped by almost all RTS game companies in the former decade - the almighty console! banana.gif

So what is a console? - It's a simple listener or command line interface. In lay man terms it's a window in which you can give commands directly to the game. Although creating interface controls like buttons and sliders is generally a challenging feat for game coders, and hence limited in quantity, this is no obstacle for a console since it's just an interface for text commands. That's why it's so common in FPS games (who doesn't remember the "sensitivity" command for older titles?) and why smart developers like Chris Taylor always add up such level of control in their games. Gamers get happier, and developers get a break of having to add an interface for every little customizable thing in their games. God knows why EA disables their console in the release version of their RTSes (yeah, there IS a console in Generals and BfME, it's just disabled), probably due to cheat-scare.

How to access it? - To open the console in Supcom, simply hit the tilde [~] key. You'll see a lovely ugly cyan window pop up on the screen, semi-transparent. To get rid of it, hit esc to disable the entry mode (blinking cursor) and hit tilde agay.

What can it do? - So much that it's out of the scope of a down-and-dirty article like this. If you type con_ListCommands and hit enter, it'll dump all the commands it has available, with a short description of what does it do. If you have a good idea of the name of the command, but can't remember it's exact spelling, type the first letter or first few letters of the command and a short-list of all matching commands will show in a black background. You can then use the top and down arrow keys to navigate thru them, and hit enter on them directly, instead of typing the full command.

How do I change these things? - As easy as possible, just type the command (if it's a toggle, ie. on or off setting) or the command followed by the new value and hit enter. Presto, instantaneous change in-game. Supposing a given command is not a toggle, to know its starting or current value simply enter the command followed by enter. You can also enter the command in the format command = newvalue, works exactly the same.

Useful console commands - There are many, and I haven't even tried all of them myself, but for now let's focus on the camera and graphical settings ones:

cam_nearpitch - Def: 45 - Sugg: 20
cam_farpitch - Def: 89.9 - Sugg: 89.9

That's what you (and Launcher) are looking for if you want a more tilted and "3D-like" view of the battlefield. I personally love it 'coz it adds lots of perspective and.. hmm.. for lack of a better term, "sense of scale" to the game smile.gif While the "near pitch" defines the camera pitch at maximum zoom in level, the far pitch is at minimum (ie. fully zoomed out). Notice that both value are tweened in intermediate zoom levels, so you might want to tweak both to get the proper angles while zooming in/out. I recommend changing nearpitch to 20.

cam_farfov - Def: 1 - Sugg: 80
cam_nearfov - Def: 60 - Sugg: 75

These are the Field of View settings for both near and far zoom levels. The higher it is, the larger the viewing angle. That means you can see more, but it'll also distort objects near the edge of the view. Increasing the FoV removes the isommetric render style (ie. lines always parallel) so adjust it to your taste. I suggest 80 and 75 respectively.

cam_nearZoom - Def: 10.5 - Sugg: 5

This is the maximum distance you can zoom to. It seems a silly value, but it actually controls a lot of the camera tilting threshold in the closest zoom levels, which are the most useful in actual gameplay, so you might want/need to adjust this. I recommend 5 for this entry.

cam_panspeed - Def: 1 - Sugg: 4

The camera pan speed is simply the sexiest thing I've found in the console. Simply because it finally makes that fast-scroll button useful, since with a higher pan speed you can scroll to decently far distances without working out with the mouse smile.gif The only remaining problem I had was how to put that so-important fast scroll ability in a less cumbersome place than a push-down wheel. Since I have a Logitech MX518, I simply called the mouse toolset (called "setpoint") and remapped the thumb button to perform the same function of the middle-button. It worked like a charm and I'm now rapidly scrolling across the map with my thumb button, with the advantage that I can zoom in AND scroll at the same time, completely unpractical with just the middle-wheel. The Logitech MX500 series are highly recommended mouses btw, but any of the new laser models will do. If you have or intend to buy another mouse brand, make sure to check in their site if their driver have got mouse button remapping like the Logitech setpoint. Alternatively you can google for one of the many freeware mouse button remappers.

cam_free (toggle) - Tired of trying to see that hot action scene from some exciting camera angle but having to keep the MMB (middle mouse button) pressed to not snap back to the default an boring top-down camera angle? Then this is just what the doctor ordered, perfect for replay viewing. Just enter this once on the console to make the camera stay wherever you leave it from now on! Be warned that, by doing so, you completely lose the strategic icons overlay, even when fully zoomed out, so I do NOT recommend this for actual gaming. Notice that you can also disable cam_free (and restore your strategic icons) by hitting the default view shortcut "V". This is a quite handy (and generally overlooked) shortcut by the way, you can toggle between the starting view zoom and the full-out "minimap" zoom level with a thumb-reachable shortcut.

ren_fx (toggle) - If you have an absolutely lame machine like CowGoMoo, you can definitely benefit from totally disabling the particle fx when things get heated on. Don't forget most of the game's overhead is on the processor, not half as much in the video card, specially if you don't go overboard with high-end graphics options. Even if you're sure what's lagging it's your videocard, it's generally more effective reducing the gfx fidelity on the default menu. If you're really desperate for video performance try the wireframe view mode, Alt+V.

ui_keyboardPanSpeed - This setting is a life saver for people who use the arrow keys for scrolling. It's a separate entry from the regular camera pan speed, thanks GPG! smile.gif
ui_keyboardPanAcceleratorMultiplier - This is how faster/slower the shift key will make you scroll with the arrow keys.

Although I'm not a big fan of keyboard scroll (although I realize its advantages, I just can't get too far from my # keys for group access!), one way I find it usable with these settings is making the keyboard pan speed very high, so I can scroll to the other side of the map with just two or three clicks, and having shift actually reduce its speed for fine tuning (with something like 0.25 or 0.15). This way it makes up for a quite decent minimap replacement while GPG doesn't fix Supcom's minimap click-scroll.

ui_TeamColorMode (toggle) - Last but not least, team game fans will love to know there IS a team color mode toggle in-game! Run the command once to turn it on, run it again to turn it off.

Well, that's it, hope you guys have enjoyed this article and can put it to good use. I'm personally finding Supcom all the more enjoyable with these very important tweaks. Have fun!

PS.: If someone feel I deserve a medal for this, please do it. Hint, hint! lol happy.gif

Clan: EPIC

Game: Command and Conquer 4

+
# 2DuRiN Nov 3 2006, 11:43 AM
bowdown.gif

Game: Global Agenda

+
# 3dj_relentless Nov 3 2006, 12:14 PM
bowdown.gif

good on gpg as well, powerful consoles are usually fps domain.

Game: Supreme Commander

+
# 4Shalashaska Nov 3 2006, 12:16 PM
bowdown.gif

very pro

This post has been edited by Shalashaska: Nov 3 2006, 12:17 PM

Game: Act of Aggression

+
# 5Sparda^ Nov 3 2006, 15:07 PM
dam maddox WTF.gif
how do you find this stuff
have you applied for a job as a programmer?
or even have a job as a programmer?

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 6Phantom Nov 3 2006, 15:27 PM
Sweet smile.gif

Medal him.

Clan: Teh Staff

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 7prepare Nov 3 2006, 16:40 PM
thats awesome!

medal given.... i´ll try these right now... please post any more you find to be usefull smile.gif

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 8MaDDoX Nov 3 2006, 17:56 PM
QUOTE(Sparda)
how do you find this stuff
have you applied for a job as a programmer?
or even have a job as a programmer?

Hey Sparda! Yeah, I have a degree in computer science and can code pretty well smile.gif Not that it was needed for this article, I basically followed a lead and figured the rest out by myself. I was a big addict of the console back in TA days, so it was second nature for me happy.gif

QUOTE(prepare @ Nov 3 2006, 01:40 PM) *

thats awesome!

Me thinks too, it took some getting used to (since I'm used to progressive scrolling from EA RTSes) but I can now scroll almost as fast as in Generals/BfME, but with more accuracy since the scroll speed is linear smile.gif Basically if you get used to zooming out just a little, mouse scrolling gets that much faster and you can still distinguish most of your units before the tactical icons even show up.

medal given.... i´ll try these right now... please post any more you find to be usefull smile.gif

Thanks happy.gif All I'm testing now is exactly where to put a script file to run a batch of commands automatically once the game starts. I'm pretty sure I've read about it somewhere while scrubbing the game files, more on that later.

+
# 9Utred Nov 3 2006, 19:13 PM
Very nice happy.gif

Clan: Teh Staff

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 10Artistic Nov 3 2006, 19:20 PM
Nice one! Probably wont use it tho tongue.gif

Clan: [Wise]

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 11CowGoMoo Nov 4 2006, 01:02 AM
ooh, ahh, AGM got owned? ^^

Game: The Asian Dynasties

+
# 12Teh n00blet Nov 4 2006, 02:32 AM
yeah looks like all of AGM's whining had a positive effect after all, seeing as maddox felt compelled enough to write that article.

+
# 13parabolas Nov 4 2006, 03:27 AM
Awesome article. Good work. thum.gif

QUOTE(MaDDoX @ Nov 3 2006, 03:30 AM) *

Since I have a Logitech MX518, I simply called the mouse toolset (called "setpoint") and remapped the thumb button to perform the same function of the middle-button.

I'm not sure I understand this part. What is the mouse toolset and where can I find it?

+
# 14Endness Nov 4 2006, 12:30 PM
About mouse: will SupCom have a option for alternate-mouse (CnC style)?

+
# 15vilm Nov 4 2006, 23:27 PM
wow, didn't knew supcom had a console

have to try it out soon. Consoles are great, it ads a lot of customisability, wich is fucking great!

+
# 16MaDDoX Nov 6 2006, 07:41 AM
QUOTE(parabolas @ Nov 4 2006, 12:27 AM) *
I'm not sure I understand this part. What is the mouse toolset and where can I find it?

Simply download and install the latest driver for your mouse at logitech's site and setpoint will be installed automatically. After resetting the machine, double click the logitech icon and the setpoint interface will show up. Should be extremely straightforward from there on, select the button you want to remap (4 in my mouse's case), in "task" select "other" and then "middle button" from the drop down list. Presto, your mouse thumb button will start doing the same as holding the middle mouse button smile.gif

Btw I haven't had the time to test more ways to automate the console functions yet, I'll try some alternatives later today.

+
# 17WISE Architect Nov 7 2006, 12:23 PM
Does the same commands work for another console in another game? Like... are they universal like math? happy.gif

Clan: [Wise]

+
# 18CowGoMoo Nov 7 2006, 15:29 PM
QUOTE(Architect @ Nov 7 2006, 07:23 AM) *

Does the same commands work for another console in another game? Like... are they universal like math? happy.gif

CS console uses the same command format, so if anything the commands are going to be very similar between consoles.

Game: The Asian Dynasties

+
# 19hoodwinked Nov 7 2006, 18:07 PM
The tilde (~) key doesn't work for me (doesn't bring up the console window). I'm using 2.7 at the moment. Is this a 3.0 only feature?

+
# 20MaDDoX Nov 7 2006, 21:52 PM
QUOTE(hoodwinked @ Nov 7 2006, 03:07 PM) *

The tilde (~) key doesn't work for me (doesn't bring up the console window). I'm using 2.7 at the moment. Is this a 3.0 only feature?

Hmm.. good question, I haven't tried it in 2.7 to be honest smile.gif

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)