Explore GameReplays...

Knight Online article

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1andysfile Nov 12 2006, 11:47 AM
Attached Image -Title image made from concept art from official site.

Platform: PC
Genre: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG)
Developers: K2Network Inc., Noahsystem Inc., & MGame, Inc.

Overview
Knight Online is a free online RPG. I consider it an alternative to WoW however it is just as good in many areas and is fantastic for a free game. Constant patches provide new gameplay and bug fixes especially with the new expansion ‘Reign of the Fire Drake’ as a free 206.8mb download. It is set in a magical medievaI age. In this article I will describe different aspects of the game in separate sections. Below is the contents list.

1. General.
- Gameplay, life and replay value
- Graphics, sound and overall quality
- System requirements

2. In detail.
- Characters
- Items
- Skills
- Areas
- Quests
- Events
- Clans and parties
- Servers

3. Registering, making a character and game basics.
- Register
- Choosing a character
- Premium membership

4. Conclusion
- Conclusion

1. General

Gameplay, life and replay value.

I have played Knight Online seriously for a year or so then started to ease off a bit. I wouldn’t consider myself a ‘RPG person’ but I found this game very fun and it kept me occupied for a long time.
Again, I would like to say this game is free unless you want a Premium Membership which allows more features in the game. I wouldn’t recommend this, however, since the free game has more than enough features in it to keep you occupied for ages. You can get the Premium if you want, of course.
The game has many abilities to gain, clans to join, different characters to try, areas to explore, etc, all of which make you want to level up and discover more. You can go solo on the game or make friends for team play against powerful monsters. I had friends who played it also and we teamed up and protected each other in dangerous areas so I would recommend team play above solo.
This free RPG has a very long life span in my opinion. It has so much to do and if you can’t be bothered, you can stay around one area and sell/buy items or chat.

Graphics, sound and overall quality.

Since this is an online, multiplayer game that has to support many players in one area, it is understandable it doesn’t have HDR or ragdoll physics. The graphics are still decent and are definitely not bad. Here is a screenshot:
Attached Image
The interface is very clean and easy to understand. It was improved in the Reign of the Fire Drake expansion that recently came out.

The sound quality is pretty good. I’m not experienced in detecting how well sound effects or background music is made but from a players point of view it does the job fine. The background music changes from slow-paced to faster and more exciting as you enter a battle. This can get repetitive but it doesn’t get too annoying in most cases. There are two tracks that you will hear a lot and get used to rather quickly (non-battle and battle).

The overall quality is fantastic. There are not many bugs and the ones that are there get fixed by constant patching. The amount of things you can do and the amount of players makes this game very worthwhile. There are PvP (Player vs Player) experiences, special events, wars between Orcs and Humans that you can participate in. Those are only a fraction of what this game has to offer and when you consider the fact it is free, you can’t say it isn’t worth downloading for the RPG player.

System requirements.
Attached Image -Taken from Official Website.

2. In detail.

Characters.

Human:
Attached Image Barbarian
The strongest type of human but isn't very intelligent. The only occupation you can get for this character is warrior.

Attached Image Male
Can be warrior, rogue, magician and priest classes.

Attached Image Female
Can be warrior, rogue, magician and priest classes.

Orc:
Attached Image Arch Tuarek
Is very strong but not the most intelligent type of Orc. Can only be warrior class.

Attached Image Tuarek
The Tuarek can become a priest and rogue classes.

Attached Image Wrinkle Tuarek
Is small but smart and can only become a magician.

Attached Image Puri Tuarek
The Puri Tuarek and the only female type of orc and can become a priest.

A warrior class specializes in running in and smashing opponents into the dust. They are very strong and have a decent amount of health.

A magician class becomes a mage after level 10. They can perform a variety of devastating attacks and can choose an element to excel with. I chose to be a Glacier Mage which let me have spells that slow down enemies and freeze them.

A priest class can heal and give buffs to players. They can also curse players with bad spells. Buffs are spells that enhance certain qualities of a character. They last for limited time.

A rogue class can be an archer or a stealthy assassin that can turn invisible. The rogue has numerous physical and magical abilities which help the player to kill the enemy.

Character images were taken from http://www.knight-online.com.my/

Items.
Due to the amount of items in the game, this guide cannot contain all of them. Here is a list of all the items in the game.
There are many items, each one having different abilities and bonuses for certain players.

Skills

Since there are so many skills to learn, I have only put the Warrior's basic, offensive and defensive moves here. You can find all of the skills here.

Warrior skills
BASIC:
IPB Image Sprint.
Temporarily increases running speed. Level 1.

IPB Image Slash.
120% damage is given to the targeted enemy. Level 3.

IPB Image Crash.
Raises rate of attack of the player it was casted upon by 1.5 times. Level 5.

IPB Image Defense.
Temporarily increases defense. Level 7.

IPB Image Piercing
Raises rate of attack of the player it was casted upon by 2 times. Level 9.

OFFENSIVE:
IPB Image Hash.
Inflicts 30hp damage upon target. This ability is not hindered by the defense level of the target. Level 0.

IPB Image Hood Wink.
150% damage is given to the targeted enemy. Level 5.

IPB Image Sheer.
Inflicts 50hp damage upon target. This ability is not hindered by the defense level of the target. Level 10.

IPB Image Pierce.
Never failing power. Inflicts 100% damage upon the targeted enemy. This is useful if you have been cursed by a priest. Level 15.

IPB Image Leg Cutting.
Slows the targeted enemy down. Level 20.

IPB Image Carving.
200% damage is given to the targeted enemy. Level 25.

IPB Image Sever.
Inflicts 100hp damage upon target. This ability is not hindered by the defense level of the target. Level 30.

IPB Image Freak.
Never failing power. Inflicts 150% damage upon the targeted enemy. Level 35.

IPB Image Multiple Shock.
Inflicts 150% damage upon the targeted enemy and 50% additional damage. Level 40.

IPB Image Cleave.
Inflicts 200% damage upon the targeted enemy. Level 45.

IPB Image Mangling.
Inflicts 150hp damage upon target. This ability is not hindered by the defense level of the target. Level 50.

IPB Image Thrust.
200% damage is given to the targeted enemy and it never fails. Level 55.

IPB Image Sword Dancing.
Inflicts 150hp damage upon target and 250% damage. This never fails. Level 60.

DEFENSIVE:

IPB Image Hinder.
Raises defense by 20%. This is a passive ability. Level 5.

IPB Image Resist.
Raises resistance by 30%. This is a passive ability. Level 10.

IPB Image Arrest.
Raises defense by 30%. This is a passive ability. Level 15.

IPB Image Endure.
Raises resistance by 60%. This is a passive ability. Level 20.

IPB Image Binding.
Encourages a monster to attack you. Level 30.

IPB Image Bulwark.
Raises defense by 40%. This is a passive ability. Level 35.

IPB Image Immunity.
Raises resistance by 90%. This is a passive ability. Level 40.

IPB Image Provoke.
Encourages all the monsters in your immediate area to attack you. Level 45.

IPB Image Decent.
Teleports you to the selected party member location. Level 50.

IPB Image Evading.
Raises defense by 50%. This is a passive ability. Level 55.

IPB Image Sacrifice.
This ability kills yourself in return for restoring one of your party members to full health. Level 60.

Areas.
IPB Image

IPB Image

El Morad is the human land and Karus is where Orcs dwell.

IPB Image

Moradon is the starting point or ‘newbie area’. There are low level monsters in this region. Orcs and Humans can go here and be safe from attacking each other. There is also a large area where many areas decide to trade. It is in the area in front of the fountain which is at the north-east corner of the map.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Colony and Eslant both have very tough enemies in the areas. Orcs and Humans can both go here and attack each other as well. Stay away from these areas unless you are experienced and think you can handle it. You can only enter Eslant if you are level 60 or above.

Abyss. Surprisingly, the only dungeon in this medievaI RPG. It has 20 levels, where you can go down or up. The further down you go, the harder the monsters get. Orcs and Humans can enter this area and attack each other. Occasionally you will get an Abyss Gem if you kill enough monsters and an Abyss Gem sells roughly for 1,000,000 coins. A really fun location to go if you have a trustworthy party with you.

Maps are taken from www.knight-online.com.my

Events.

Lunar War
The Lunar War is a massive Player vs Player war. The goal for each nation (El Morad and Karus) is to kill all of the NPCs in the opposing nations base. 200 players from each nation fight to the death to defend their nation. If a nation loses the Lunar War, the opposing nation can invade your land for an hour, killing players of all levels and character.
If you win the war then your team is teleported to a staging area in the enemy’s nation. You can then invade the land.
You can enter the war at level 30 or above but due to the massacre that goes on in the war, I strongly recommend being at least level 45 to participate.
You will lose 1% experience points if you die by:
* having 0 national points
* killed by a Guard, Warder or Keeper.
You will lose 5% of your coins if you are killed so I recommend putting it in storage for the time you are in the war. You don't gain any coins for killing the opposition.
You gain 50 national points if you kill a player from the opposing nation. If you get killed by an enemy player then you lose 25 national points.
Server times:
Ares: Tuesday and Saturday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Dies: Monday & Friday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Xigenon: Wednesday & Monday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Beramus: Thursday & Sunday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Cypher: Tuesday & Saturday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Olympia: Monday & Friday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Edana: Thursday & Sunday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Manes: Tuesday & Saturday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Pathos: Tuesday & Saturday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
To join, go to the teleportation gate in Moradon and select to go to that area at the specified time.

Dark Lunar War
The same thing as the Lunar War except only the first 120 players are allowed to participate from each nation and you must be level 30 or 50 to enter. Only 20 players from each nation are allowed in at a time.
You lose no experience if you die but you lose 5% of your coins. You don't gain coins for killing opposing players.
You will gain 50 national points if you kill a player from the opposing nation. You will lose 25 national points if you are killed from a player of the opposing nation or if you have no national points then you will lose 1% of you experience points.
If you kill a Warder you will gain 500 national points.
If you kill a Keeper you will gain 1,000 national points.
Server times:
Ares: Wednesday & Sunday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Dies: Thursday & Sunday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Xigenon: Tuesday & Friday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Beramus: Monday & Saturday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Cypher: Wednesday & Friday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Olympia: Tuesday & Thursday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Edana: Tuesday & Friday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Manes: Thursday & Sunday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
Pathos: Thursday & Sunday. 3:00AM, 9:00AM, and 6:00PM PST.
To join, go to the teleportation gate in Moradon and select to go to that area at the specified time.

Castle Siege War
The castle is in Delos. It is a clan battle where the clans fight over an artifact. If you control the artifact in the center of the castle then you control the castle.
You have to be a level 4 or above Knight to enter.
In the Delos Castle there is a door which leads to the artifact in the middle of the castle. Clan members that own the castle can open the main gate. The battlefield is outside. It is where the battle takes place and no monsters are on the battlefield. The invading clan spawns in the Desert Fortress safe zone. Physical and magic attacks have no effect in this place and the gates open to let the invading force out when the war begins at 11:30AM PST.
Server times:
11:30AM PST, Saturdays on Beramus, Olympia, Dies, Ares, Xigenon and Cypher.

Forgotten Temple 1
If you get through the temple, you get a treasure chest. You then have to take the chest to Miraselth (Warehouse Keeper NPC) to open it.
You have to be level 60 or above.
You can form a party in the temple even with an Orc if you are a Human and vice versa.
You teleport to the temple through an NPC in Moradon.
The only thing you can earn in the temple is experience points. You do not pick up any items unless you get to the end of the temple where you can get a treasure chest from a shrine.
The cost to enter is 500,000 coins.
If you do not kill all the monsters in the temple within 30 minutes then the temple gate is closed.
Server times(must enter the temple within two minutes of these times):
12PM, 7PM, and 6AM PST, everyday on every server.
To enter, talk to Laedith in Moradon.

Forgotten Temple 2
You have to be level 46 to 59.
It is free to enter.
The only thing you can earn in the temple is experience points except for the treasure chest.
If you kill all of the monsters in the temple, you will get a treasure chest.
You can form a party in the temple even with an Orc if you are a Human and vice versa.
If you do not kill all the monsters in the temple within 30 minutes then the temple gate is closed.
Server times(must enter the temple within two minutes of these times):
11AM, 6PM and 5AM, everyday on every server.
To enter, talk to Laedith in Moradon.

Clans and parties
In Knight Online you have the choice to make or join a clan. A clan has to gain national points to determine what rank the clan (and a player) is and it's reputation among players. You can make or join a clan by talking to the Inn Hostess in the main castle zone of your nation (El Morad Castle for humans and Luferson Castle for orcs). A clan is allowed to have a maximum of 36 players.
Your clan name will appear above your head in red text.

A party of players is a temporary group formed to help each other out. You can go into an area with many monsters but a few players and they may invite you into a party or you can make one for free. When an enemy is killed, the experience and items are shared around. If you are in a good party, you can gain experience much quicker the doing things solo. A party is 2-8 players and you can leave whenever you want and join another party. People often wander into dangerous areas saying "party pls".

Servers
Servers are generally lag free. Once you make a character on one server, to use that character you must go to that server. Say I make a character on Dies. I can use that character on Dies1, Dies2 and Dies3 but I cannot use it on Beramus or any other server.
There are multiple servers for each 'world' (aka Dies) so if you find one laggy or if it is in the red on the ping meter then you can choose another one. You can make multiple characters on multiple servers so I can have 2 characters on Dies and a character on Ares. The bad thing is that sometimes all of your world's servers can go to the full red lines (see image) and only premium members can join so if you are not a premium member then you have to wait until the server has freed up a bit.
Attached Image

3. Registering, making a character and game basics

Register.
Registering is easy. Go to www.knightonlineworld.com and click register to start the process.
IPB Image

After that, download the client and use your login details on the first screen you come across.
If you download the client and you get an FTP error or 'Out of date' error, download the Reign of the Fire Drake expansion here.

Choosing a character.
Choose your character on what you like most and think will be the most useful. I chose a magician so I could later be a Glacier Mage because my group of friends needed someone to slow down the enemies and attack from range. If you want to charge into battle, I would recommend you don't go with the magician/mage class due to their low health and go with a warrior class. If you want to be a really good warrior (and nothing else in the game) then the barbarian class would be a good choice.
To make a character for the first time, you have to select the server you want to play on, then your race and nation and then make a character in the character selection screen. A very simple procedure.

Premium membership
The advantages of premium membership are:
IPB Image -Table from official site.
To buy one go here.

4. Conclusion.

Conclusion
Overall, Knight Online is one of the best free RPGs there is. If you don't want to pay for World of Warcraft, but still want a great MMORPG, then go with Knight Online.

Phew, I hope you like my article! happy.gif One final note: I would like to thank Mozilla for making Firefox 2 have a 'Recently Closed Tabs' option. It made my work a lot easier when I... accidentally closed it. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by andysfile: Nov 13 2006, 06:31 AM

Clan: Teh Memberz

Game: Bad Company 2

+
# 2DeadMetal Nov 13 2006, 10:45 AM
lol i use to play that game whistling.gif

nice article thumb.gif

Game: Call of Duty 4

+
# 3His Lordship Jack Daniels Nov 13 2006, 10:50 AM
QUOTE(DeadMetal @ Nov 13 2006, 11:45 AM) *

nice article thumb.gif

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 4SoulWings Nov 13 2006, 12:24 PM
QUOTE(DeadMetal @ Nov 13 2006, 10:45 AM) *

nice article thumb.gif

Clan: Prisoners Of War

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 5Demandred Nov 13 2006, 16:55 PM
Nice article, infact, im installing the patches for it right now. biggrin.gif

Clan: Corruption of Light

Game: Team Fortress 2

+
# 6Greenfuzz Nov 14 2006, 00:04 AM
great artical! thumb.gif you deserve a medal!

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 7andysfile Nov 14 2006, 06:28 AM
Glad you all like it biggrin.gif

+
# 8Demandred Nov 14 2006, 12:02 PM
It was a good article, but the game is bad in my opinion. post-13661-1143531603.gif

+
# 9andysfile Nov 14 2006, 12:09 PM
Why is it bad? I think it's a great choice for a free game but, to be honest, there are other RPGs out there that are much better like WoW or the Elder Scrolls series. But I think this is the best free one there is.

+
# 10Demandred Nov 14 2006, 12:10 PM
Well, iv got elder scrolls and WoW, maybe thats why don't like it.

But the graphics aren't very good and its confusing, the screen is filled with stuff.

+
# 11andysfile Nov 14 2006, 12:14 PM
You get used to it over time and with the latest expansion the interface has been cleaned up a lot so now it's a lot easier. I'm not trying to convert you to it or anything ( tongue.gif ) but it's a fairly quick game to load up and free. That's one thing I really like in a game btw, small load times. If I don't have the time to wait 15 minutes for BF2 to load then play a round, I load up something quick to start and quick to exit smile.gif

+
# 12Sarumans_king Nov 14 2006, 20:40 PM
I used to play this game, was a level 66 Barbarian human.

Then it got boreing.

Game: Company of Heroes

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)