DI_BattleMoose
cfb_mead

Gnug215
orcsdeath
BurningPhoenix
Klecko
An Original Name

That's the list so far.

Bear in mind that it is preliminary. Changes will most probably occur!

Now, due to the large number of Advanced Mentees that we need more Advanced Mentors for, I want to ask those of you that requested an Advanced Mentor to consider exactly what you need. Take look at this list, see if you feel you could perhaps find a Mentor that you feel could perhaps help you, and then post here.
Mind you, we can only ask so much of our Mentors, so they might not have time for taking on more Mentees.

Also, if you can perhaps find people who are willing to be Advanced Mentors, do try and recruit them, and we'll set it up. smile.gif

To the Mentors
As I said above, the list is preliminary. If we have assigned you too many, or even too few, Mentees, or anything at all, let us know! Contact us, post here, or whatever, but try to do it quickly so we can get started!

Now we just need a while to set up the Mentoring forum itself and we'll be set. Not sure exactly how long that will take (Brains is the Brains on that...) but I will let you know.

Keep your eyes out for it!

Good luck to all!

Gnug215 smile.gif

This post has been edited by Gnug215: Jul 17 2007, 19:19 PM

Game: Supreme Commander

+
# 2Feinam Jul 14 2007, 20:29 PM
Roger that. I'm already in contact with Dred and will contact the other two soon. My new motherboard is giving me trouble, so I can't begin lessons until Monday (when my memory arrives). Freaking Striker Extreme...

Oh, and when you get a free late advanced/early elite trainer, I'd like a slot =).

Note on my teaching approach:

The closer the teacher is to the medium, the more effective the learning. It'd be silly to get a piano lesson with no piano in the room, using a tape from 5 hours ago of you playing! With that in mind, I will only use replays rarely.

The opening sessions will be 1v1 between myself and my mentee, starting with simplistic maps with one flank and limited resources. Small maps are like playing the game in slow motion, as the production and tech speeds are much slower and your units only have to manuever to a single front. In this environment, I will decide on a particular strategy early on and throw it at my mentee. There are three concepts that I will try to communicate during these early sessions:

-Recognize the enemy's strat before it happens
-Create an effective defense against it
-Counter-attack, exploiting the weakness

By learning these three concepts, the mentee learns the power of a reactive stance: this game is made so that a counter is cheaper than the assault. In addition, the mentee will get exposed to proactive strategies, and the inherent weaknesses the come with them.

As the mentee becomes comfortable recognizing, countering, and exploiting an enemy's strategy, the maps will become more and more complicated with wide open terrain and richer economies. These provide a faster environment for the same basic concepts.

Cross training will be the other important half of my regimen. I will need mentees to download Teamspeak or Ventrilo, so that I can join a game as a spectator and give them minute to minute advice. Just like a piano teacher showing you approaches WHILE you play, I want to implant myself into a game to bring the education to a tactile level.

Lastly, "labs" will be run to teach micromanagement that can show the mentee how to get an edge in every encounter.

This post has been edited by Feinam: Jul 14 2007, 20:50 PM

+
# 3klecko Jul 14 2007, 20:58 PM
haxthias, just pm me here or add me as friends on GPG

+
# 4tmth Jul 14 2007, 21:50 PM
okay, acknowledged, pm'd and friend invitations sent. Set sail!:D

+
# 5AncientSion Jul 14 2007, 21:55 PM
Cool, good work Gnug. Wasnt expecting less from you wink.gif

This post has been edited by AncientSion: Jul 14 2007, 22:02 PM

Game: None

+
# 6Namreg Jul 14 2007, 22:02 PM
gnug- i will not be able to be online as much as i would like over the next week or so

This post has been edited by orcsdeath: Jul 14 2007, 22:32 PM

Game: Call of Duty 4

+
# 7DaeHeKans Jul 14 2007, 22:19 PM
I'm down to be a mentee. I do alright here and there but could definitely use some tips to improve. EST

+
# 8Apollosyx Jul 14 2007, 22:45 PM
pm sent to mine.

Clan: |elder| & |eldar|

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 9MessiahAngel Jul 15 2007, 00:16 AM
Fine with me, thx thumb.gif

PM me and add me to xfire Gudo : messiahangel

Thx for this program Gnug215 thum.gif

Clan: |elder| & |eldar|

Game: Crysis

+
# 10pozitive Jul 15 2007, 07:14 AM
hey Gnug215!

I can see myself as a mentor, but a cant find myself as a mentee (yeah, i wanna be both). Is that cos we dont have enough advanced mentors?

+
# 11pozitive Jul 15 2007, 07:18 AM
2 isik & SemperFido
hey guys!
ping me in gpg chat, or add me as a friend, or let me know about you any other way smile.gif

+
# 12Gnug215 Jul 15 2007, 07:55 AM
QUOTE(pozitive @ Jul 15 2007, 09:14 AM) *

hey Gnug215!

I can see myself as a mentor, but a cant find myself as a mentee (yeah, i wanna be both). Is that cos we dont have enough advanced mentors?

Yeah, we're very short on Advanced Mentors, so I'm afraid we can't supply everyone. sad.gif

We had all the Basic Mentees covered, until we got three new basic signups yesterday/today.

Are there any Basic Mentors that can take on more Mentees?

Let me know! smile.gif

Edit: Also, would all Mentors add me to their friends list on GPGnet if they aren't already there? smile.gif
Might be helpful. The Mentees could do the same, too, really. smile.gif

Gnug215

This post has been edited by Gnug215: Jul 15 2007, 09:34 AM

+
# 13Kormi Jul 15 2007, 09:19 AM
Affirmative

+
# 14Oxslow Jul 15 2007, 09:50 AM
Thank you Gnug215 for setting this up, and thank you Kormi for being my mentor.

+
# 15pozitive Jul 15 2007, 10:03 AM
QUOTE(Gnug215 @ Jul 15 2007, 11:55 AM) *

Are there any Basic Mentors that can take on more Mentees?

i think first we should try with mentees we already have. Who knows maybe 2-3 mentees is too much, on the other hand it could be not enough.

+
# 16Kormi Jul 15 2007, 11:47 AM
We've started already, and I reckon 3 could be too much. But it depends on how much time you have and how much of that are you willing to invest into this... But 3 mentees can pretty much suck up most of your play time.

+
# 17Namreg Jul 15 2007, 12:56 PM
gnug, you have quite a few mentees...

+
# 18Gnug215 Jul 15 2007, 13:31 PM
Heh, I know I do, and I don't think I can handle anymore.

And I understand that you guys can't take on more, either. No pressure at all.

But yeah, let's see how it goes, then we could perhaps add more later.

I'm gonna ask TCC how it's going with setting up the forum. (It takes a while. He has to give everyone special permission, one at a time...)

Gnug215

+
# 19Namreg Jul 15 2007, 15:05 PM
QUOTE(Gnug215 @ Jul 15 2007, 09:31 AM) *

Heh, I know I do, and I don't think I can handle anymore.

And I understand that you guys can't take on more, either. No pressure at all.

But yeah, let's see how it goes, then we could perhaps add more later.

I'm gonna ask TCC how it's going with setting up the forum. (It takes a while. He has to give everyone special permission, one at a time...)
Gnug215

u sure u can handle all 4 mentees?

+
# 20Gnug215 Jul 15 2007, 16:28 PM
QUOTE(orcsdeath @ Jul 15 2007, 17:05 PM) *

u sure u can handle all 4 mentees?

Heh, we'll see, won't we? smile.gif

As long as all 4 have realistic expectations, and respect the fact that I have other Mentees that need attention. smile.gif

Also, with the replay reviewing I'll be doing, maybe it would work well if my Mentees played together - not all the time, but some of the time. Then I can comment on two Mentees in the same replay. smile.gif

Gnug215

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)