Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

The History behind our Coh maps

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Cadmus Aug 21 2007, 14:20 PM
Hey GR,

Your friendly Shoutcaster is starved for games to cast (keep posting guys!) so I kept my mind busy otherwise tongue.gif

On my trip to France last week, I couldn’t help but think about Coh when I noticed I was driving past the city of Montargis. This made me think about what I knew about the maps we play on with such devotion, but concluded that I knew nothing about what went on there now more than 60 years ago. Those days are gone now though, because now Dr. Cadmus presents to you part one of his series (that is if i get good response):

HIS 101: Semois

picture: Bohan-sur-Semois today
Attached Image

When we talk about Semois in Coh, it is easy to assume that the village of Semois must exist somewhere in France, right?

Think again, It does not (at least, I have not been able to locate it).

The Semois is actually a river flowing from Belgium into France. However, the French spell it as follows: Semoy. The ingame-spelling matches the Belgian spelling. This made me conclude that the coh map Semois must be situated in southern Belgium. Several villages in the area are called ….-sur-semois, but when you’ll see the pictures you will know why I have chosen the town of Bohan-sur-Semois as the inspiration for our beloved Coh-map.

Enough with all the semantics now, let’s get straight into the action.
Belgium was overrun within a month by the German Blitzkrieg offensive on their way to France, despite valiant resistance of the tiny Belgian army backed up by a small contingent of B.E.F. troops. (Who subsequently escaped complete annihilation through the ‘miracle‘ of Dunkirk).
This means that from April 1940, the whole of Belgium was occupied by Nazi Germany, and France quickly followed this grievous fate.

Picture: Semois shortly after WWII:
Attached Image

Many Belgians, hypnotized by the mighty German army, joined the ranks of Hitler’s Waffen SS in the newly created divisions of ‘Langemark’ for the Flemings and ‘Wallonia’ for the Walloons, followers of Hitler wannabe, Leon Degrelle.

Many others chose to continue the fight and would go underground, setting up resistance networks and attempting to damage the German war effort by any means available to them.

Bohan-sur-Semois was such a town, at a remote location in the rugged countryside, where these resistance fighters staged their actions. Many of such villages have suffered axis retribution after their secret activities had been uncovered, luckily, Bohan-sur-Semois escaped that terrible fate. Bohan is located in southern Belgium, almost right on the French border, some 50 miles off Bastogne, and only 10 miles further you will find Montherme, another Coh map.

The church of Semois currently has three bells. The largest one was stolen by the German occupier in 1943. After the war, it has been replaced by a new bell with the following engraving: ‘I replace my sister, built in 1860 and stolen during the war in 1943.’ The location of the original bell is unknown, although one can imagine it was used to fuel the German war effort in some way or the other. The 2nd bell dates from 1909 and has remained untouched. A third one was added in 1947, as a gift of the people of Bohan for God’s protection during the war.

Picture: The Semois Bridge
Attached Image

Evidently, because Bohan is located in Belgium, the real battles on the Semois took place at the end of the war, when the German army was already rooted from Normandy and when Paris had already been liberated. Therefore, the battles we are fighting on Semois most likely take place at the time of the desperate German Ardennes offensive in the winter of 1944 (battle of the bulge). If I am not mistaken, Gen. Patton’s army must have passed through Bohan, in their lightning speed drive from the south to deliver the encircled Airborne divisions.

Picture: Tactical Map Battle of the Bulge
Attached Image

You can't see the river Semois on the tactical map but it is just to the south out of the frame, and Bohan would be located somewhere south of Libramont, which means that the German breakthrough was halted right there on the frontline. The axis armor we find on Semois in Coh are probably from the Panzer Lehr, an elite armoured division, backed up by the 15th Panzergrenadiers.

I hope you enjoyed this little Coh ‘moment in history’…If you guys like it I might do some of the other maps. I already found some nice stuff on Angoville…

This post has been edited by Cadmus: Aug 21 2007, 14:24 PM

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Puma Pants Aug 21 2007, 14:28 PM
POST OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome work dude.

+
# 3IRnoobie Aug 21 2007, 14:33 PM
Great post. TX.

-IRN

+
# 4Micr0za Aug 21 2007, 14:34 PM
I see mg in the church, or its a priest ?

nice post wink.gif

This post has been edited by Micr0za: Aug 21 2007, 15:04 PM

+
# 5yaet Aug 21 2007, 14:56 PM
amazing thumb.gif

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 6HERO Aug 21 2007, 15:00 PM
GREAT POST!

Clan: EPIC

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 7hillhome Aug 21 2007, 15:04 PM
QUOTE(HERO @ Aug 21 2007, 11:00 AM) *

GREAT POST!

QFT

Clan: Reign of Madness

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 8Zap Aug 21 2007, 15:07 PM
nice, I've tried to google semois some time ago but came up with nothing

by the way, enemy halftrack spotted on the 2. picture tongue.gif

+
# 9NIKname Aug 21 2007, 15:07 PM
Very interesting Cadmus, good work! I already did a bit of research myself about Semois, but didn't find too much besides it being a river. Great work, keep 'em coming (but don't neglect your awesome shoutcasts while doing it thum.gif )

+
# 10kRISTIAN- Aug 21 2007, 15:09 PM
good stuff

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 11KamaradeGeneral Aug 21 2007, 15:10 PM
Put him an expert archeological badge drol.gif

+
# 12thetrippleb Aug 21 2007, 15:33 PM
FRONT PAGE!!!! FRONT PAGE!!!!

nice work...more more more

+
# 13Dom_0.IRL Aug 21 2007, 15:38 PM
The bridge, the church.

It really is semois.

Looks like its annihilation though as I dont see the VP towers.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 14Aciesethon Aug 21 2007, 15:40 PM
I'm kinda suprised that place is still standing after DGN and hkjack's treatment of it.
Attached Image

Great post, this is a question that's been in the back of my mind for a long time.

+
# 15-Sabre- Aug 21 2007, 15:43 PM
Great Post, excellent work. I've also just returned from France where I passed through the town of Langres, unfortunately I didn't get any pics sad.gif

If you get the time definitely do some more of these, really very interesting. thum.gif

Game: Men of War: Assault Squad

+
# 16ReallyTinyShoes Aug 21 2007, 15:54 PM
bowdown.gif

+
# 17CptBanana Aug 21 2007, 15:55 PM
WOW, great post Cad. The pictures are awesome and this must have taken alot of time/research. Thanks for posting this and I would love to see more!

Game: None

+
# 18Riisto Aug 21 2007, 16:07 PM
This made me conclude that the coh map Semois must be situated in southern Belgium.

Thanks for clarifying that I did get it right that Semois is in Belgium in my CoH-Movie biggrin.gif
Nice pics.

+
# 19ThePrawn Aug 21 2007, 16:10 PM
Absolutely smashing work Cadmus. Great effort

+
# 20AmiPolizeiFunk Aug 21 2007, 16:10 PM
good stuff

Clan: Reborn

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)