# 1DanaEileithyia Sep 27 2007, 07:47 AM
Mentor topic for viv92 & jrfoxe

Good luck smile.gif!

This post has been edited by DanaEileithyia: Sep 27 2007, 07:47 AM

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 2Viv92 Sep 27 2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks Dana. smile.gif

Hi JRFoxe! This is my first time doing anything like this on GR, but I've done it before so hopefully I'll be OK at it. I oddly remember you from somewhere... your name rings a bell.

Anyway, down to business. I won't be around heaps for the next 2 days (on ESO) so I think it would be best if you could record a few games and post 'em up here so I can see how you're going. I've played with Ottoman for a fairly long time now, as well as Dutch so I should hopefully be able to give you some good advice.

Add me on your ESO friends and we might see each other 'round. I'm 15 hours ahead of you or something like that, but I often play at odd times so we may meet up a bit.

Seeya soon,

Viv (just to clarify I'm a boy not a girl)

Game: The Asian Dynasties

+
# 3jrfoxe Sep 27 2007, 22:11 PM
Hi! Thank you for agreeing to help. I mainly use the Otto's now anyway, so you should be a big help. Here are two recent rec's. I know I made a couple mistakes with hearding by looking at them myself.

Attached File(s)
Attached File JRFoxe1.age3Xrec
Size: 344.17k
Number of downloads: 55
Player Name Side Team
JRFoxe 1
[ado] adolphius 2
Attached File JRFoxe2.age3Xrec
Size: 289.05k
Number of downloads: 52
Player Name Side Team
JRFoxe 1
Bischoffshof 2

+
# 4jrfoxe Sep 27 2007, 23:43 PM
Here's another one

Attached File(s)
Attached File JRFoxe3.age3Xrec
Size: 372.39k
Number of downloads: 51
Player Name Side Team
JRFoxe 1
matadorians 2

+
# 5jrfoxe Sep 27 2007, 23:53 PM
Actually, the second recording is a horrible example. I accidentally put that one up. I was half asleep while playing that one, so ignore it.

+
# 6jrfoxe Sep 27 2007, 23:55 PM
BTW, you wouldn't happen to have an instant messaging service, would you? I have yahoo and aim. If you have either of those, post a response, and we can communicate on there.

+
# 7Viv92 Sep 30 2007, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the replays, I hope you are putting those tips I gave you into practice and winning lots of games! I'll be on more this week so we can talk more on ESO.

I've been a bit busy but I'm just about to review your replays.

+
# 8Viv92 Sep 30 2007, 05:05 AM
OK, I've watched one and a half of those games, the third one is damn long!

Here are a few things I think you could improve on: (disregard the ones I already told you about on ESO)

-Capitalism is not a great first shipment at your level, you are far better off with 3 Settlers

-Set waypoints from your Town Center to resources so you don't manually have to move the settlers to them. Just right click on the resource you want them to go to.

-When you get 24 Settlers build a mosque and research Settler techs ASAP

-You often have a lot of 'floating resources' which aren't being used, make sure you use your resources.

-You don't use your explorer to capture treasures as well as you could. Watch these to help http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...p;#entry2821095

-Explore the area around your base first, not your opponents. You need to find the gold mines and hunts near your base ASAP

-3 Hussars isn't the greatest 1st colonial shipment, but if you do send it then use them to raid as soon as they pop out

-If you are playing as Ottoman get a Barracks up as soon as you hit colonial. Age up with the quarter master (400 wood) on all maps with Trade Posts, this allows you to get a Barracks up quick.

-When you go to Fortress make sure you use your fort well. I personally don't use the fort as Ottomans, though many good players do. You either want it to be next to your TC (if you are being attacked put it here) or forward near some resources (if you aren't being attacked). Putting your fort in your base when you are safe doesn't do much.

-Don't leave your Barracks idling as much, train more soldiers!
-Build towers near far away hunts to protect settlers

--Next part is mainly about the third game--

-When you are playing against British Janissaries aren't that much use against massed Lbows

-Mamelukes helped you out a lot, though 5 Spahi would have been a better choice

-You could have probably won the game by shipping Spahi early in fortress

-Don't attack houses against a British opponent

-A foundry and falconets would have won the game

--MOST IMPORTANT POINTS--

-Learn the counters system, attacking muskets with precious Spahi and Mamelukes is NOT a good idea

-DO NOT FIGHT WHEN YOU WILL LOSE! You often waste a soldiers against an opponent who is much bigger than you. Regroup and keep your existing soldiers.

-Don't fight under opponent fort fire

-Ottoman are strongest early game, I suggest you get out and fight then, when you have the advantage instead of waiting for your opponents better eco to overtake yours.

Here are a few things I think you did really well:

-In the main, you avoided idle settler time

-You are quick and manage your economy quite well

-You age up fairly quickly

-You used Spahi and Mamelukes quite well

-You herd well

OK, I hope that stuff helps. I can teach you a semi-FF build order that is pretty strong as well as that Colonial one when you next come online. I can also teach you some Abus strategies when you get that 700 wood card.

Looking forward to playing with you again. Try and post a few more replays!

This post has been edited by Viv92: Sep 30 2007, 05:08 AM

+
# 9jrfoxe Sep 30 2007, 06:14 AM
Thanks! Your advice has been a big help so far. I have two recordings. One of them is the one of me facing a Dutch (we just talked about it on ESO). I think it was a pretty good match. The other is one of the typical Jannisary Rushes you taught me.

Attached File(s)
Attached File JRFoxe4.age3Xrec
Size: 307.17k
Number of downloads: 52
Player Name Side Team
JRFoxe 1
[C K] neopaul0 2
Attached File Dutch.age3Xrec
Size: 369.61k
Number of downloads: 49
Player Name Side Team
JRFoxe 1
[SWQ-N] Abus 2

+
# 10Viv92 Sep 30 2007, 09:57 AM
OK those are MUCH better, glad to see you playing so well. I only have a few things to say about those. Actually I've only seen all of the one against Iro, and the start of the one against Dutch as I had to go to dinner.

Anyway:

-Collect the 400 age up wood with 3 Settlers, this allows you to get a Barracks up faster.

-Your Barracks placement was kinda random, take 2 Settlers forward to where you want it to be and make it as soon as you get 200 wood. You put it too far away, and it was on the shore meaning it's vulnerable to ships.

-You kept attacking when your force was only slightly bigger than his, though you had 10 Janissaries coming. Just go back and live then slaughter him as soon as the reinforcements arrive.

-When you are sieging your opponents base attack Barracks/War Hut/Stable/Corral/Blockhouse/Artillery Foundry first, outposts next, houses next, then the Town Center. You often won't be able to get down a good opponents TC so it's better to go for stuff you can kill. Also with no military buildings he can't build any military, and without houses he cannot build Settlers or military.

Overall you are doing much better, good to see you winning lots of games. I have a yahoo account by the way, just not yahoo messenger.

+
# 11Viv92 Sep 30 2007, 10:04 AM
Also I remember you saying you had trouble against Russian opponents. So I went and played a game against a Russian 1st Lieut and recorded it:

You need to get to fortress, and get Spahi. This game is a closer contest than most I play against Russians, and at your level the 5 Spahi and 4 Hussars can win the game. Anyway I think I play pretty well so have a watch, and try and copy this build order.

Attached File _anzac_Viv92_vs_Kingofkings_Ottoman_vs_Russia_on_Yukon.age3Xrec
Size: 351.81k
Number of downloads: 53
Player Name Side Team
[¬nz¬c] Viv92 1
[SART] Thekingofkings 2

Here is another more simple game. I go for the same start but he puts up less resistance. The first game is a lot better, but this one illustrates the strategy very well as he just gets snapped straight away.

Attached File _anzac_Viv92_vs_Muinir_Ottoman_vs_Russian_on_Yukon.age3Xrec
Size: 330.88k
Number of downloads: 60
Player Name Side Team
[¬nz¬c] Viv92 1
[univi] Munir 2

I hope this helps! smile.gif

+
# 12jrfoxe Oct 3 2007, 19:48 PM
I looked at your recs. I still have trouble vs russian. What is the order of shipments I should send. Also, what if they start mele muskateering me?

+
# 13Viv92 Oct 4 2007, 02:14 AM
OK, now that you have that 2 Falc card they will be much easier to deal with. Consider hurting the musks with Falcs and Jans and sending the remaing (I usually have all 5) Spahi to raid the Settlers. Spahi are GREAT raiders, use them wisely. After you take out your opponents Muskets make sure he doesn't get a stable up, and if he does get ready for some mellee Janissary action. Also after the 2 Falcs if he is pushing with more Muskets I suggest 5 Abus but if he is going cav I send 8 Jans.

Hope this helps.

----------------------------

Just letting you know I won't be around for the next 5 days, but when I come back I can teach you that semi-FF strategy with the canons.

See ya in a few days. wink.gif

+
# 14jrfoxe Oct 11 2007, 21:50 PM
hi. welcome back. I have been doing better vs russian and dutch, but i still need some practice. Also, I think I am having a couple overall problems with the jan rush. I have a terrible late game too. I now realize instead of those outposts, it might have been better to make a tc or something.

Attached File(s)
Attached File Record_Game_1.age3Xrec
Size: 343.52k
Number of downloads: 47
Player Name Side Team
JRFoxe 1
Manor_V 2

+
# 15Viv92 Oct 12 2007, 06:39 AM
Will check it out tomorrow, thanks. Your late game is never going to be that great as Ottoman, and I can start to teach you some new fortress strategies soon, or how to mix in other units.

If the game starts going longer as Ottoman I suggest you get a mosque and two more TC's up quick smart and upgrade the millet system in your mosque. The trade route can also help later on, as long as you get more posts than your opponent.

+
# 16jrfoxe Oct 14 2007, 14:40 PM
Also, btw if you want to keep this going longer we can. I accidentaly deleted my message about doing it again, so if you agree to just say that I deleted mine and I agreed to it.

+
# 17Viv92 Oct 15 2007, 07:34 AM
Yeah lets do it longer. I'm cool with it. I'll just watch your game now.

OK, quite a few things for that game:

-Once again don't attack musketeers with cavalry, you wasted your mamelukes and hussars on it
-Fighting with just falconets is a really bad idea
-Concentrate more on the fighting, you had Abus melleeing and stuff
-Don't attack Town Centers with low amounts of Janissaries, you want at least 12 or so
-Attack military buildings and houses (except against brits) before TC's
-When you win a fight, make sure you raid your opponent straight after it, and if he has no military, attack
-He upgraded the trade route, you should have got as many posts as possible and switched them to resources
-Canons earlier would have won that game, he had longbows and musketeers
-Keep your falconet's range
-You don't need to build a mosque and galata tower district till you get 23-24 Settlers, wait until then, you may need the resources
-Occasionally you had waaayyyy too much of one resource and too little of another, make sure you balance it for what you are building

As you see these are mainly military things, you may want to look at the tip of the day archive on the portal page and look at some micro stuff.

Cheers,

Viv

This post has been edited by Viv92: Oct 15 2007, 08:10 AM

+
# 18jrfoxe Oct 19 2007, 20:17 PM
Hey, I got a new rec. I know I had some trouble on the crates, but I didn't switch to eco in the middle of a battle as much.

Attached File(s)
Size: 430.56k
Number of downloads: 45
Player Name Side Team
JRFoxe 1
loyaleddie87 2

+
# 19Viv92 Oct 22 2007, 02:28 AM
Alright now we're talking! Good game, you rushed pretty well there.

Your eco was fine to me, I really can't see what you could have done better except for maybe building a market mid-way through the game, when you knew it wasn't going to be that quick (around when your 3rd or 4th lot of Janissaries came out).

Militarily you played fairly well too, just a few points.

Raiding early on was good, but you could have done it more when you weren't fighting.

You withdrew too easily sometimes. The French economy is stronger than the Ottoman one, you should have pressured more. At one point he had 6 Musketeers, you had 13 Janissaries, and you withdrew. Also with the Minute Men, good move to retreat, but just wait till their health is low then try and get each of your Janssaries to shoot at a different one, killing 6 units in a matter of seconds.

His 2nd Barracks was on 300 HP and you attacked his army. If a building is that low (especially a military one) finish it off.

Kill the tower straight after the barracks.

I think you're in need of a few more advanced strategies, I'll teach you some more when I next see you online.

+
# 20jrfoxe Oct 23 2007, 23:06 PM
Thanks. I have another rec here. This one is of more rushing, it isn't a very long game. Do you have any better advice about forward bases? I don't think I put mine in a very good spot. However I rushed him pretty fast and won.

Attached File(s)
Size: 307.48k
Number of downloads: 43
Player Name Side Team
JRFoxe 1
[N|o|W] nixgutolle 2

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)