Act of War: Direct Action

COMPLETE TFT Overview Guide*

Closed Topic Start new topic
# 1SAGEKING Apr 2 2005, 04:28 AM
Task Force Talon Overview Guide

written by [EPIC]SAGEKING

Quick Overview of TFT

Strengths
Task Force Talon (TFT) is a side with great flexibility. They are able to quickly adapt to counter what the enemy is throwing at you. TFT is also known for their ability to hold buildings and banks well. Their units generally pack a bigger punch than the other two sides. For example, their heavy snipers can take out a tanker in 1 hit and their stryker tanks are the strongest tier 1 tank in the game.

Weaknesses
TFT units are more expensive than the US and CST. With TFT, you need to make every stryker count, because they are 2000 a piece. TFT is also the only side that can't sell its command center to increase the speed of a rush. On that same note, TFT's command center and forward command need to be protected because they provide power to all other buildings. Many good players will take out your command to cripple you other buildings, such as your barracks, weapons factory, etc.

Being a good TFT RTS player
Always always always be doing something with your units, whether your scouting, raiding, attacking... Anytime you raid your opponent you put them on the defensive. At the same time, its a psychological battle, as you will focus their attention on defending as opposed to attacking, also keeping them from expanding as fast because they will pour more resources in defense.

As they say, your best defense is a good offense, and this is extremely true for TFT. Their only stationary defense is a gattling gun turret, which is great for 800 bucks, but does not compare to either the rail gun or US's missle launcher. Thus, get a mobile army going!

In my opinion TFT has the best tier 1 units, thus should always be aggressive especially in this stage of the game. Micromanagement of your strykers are key in battle though, because one stryker could seriously mean winning or losing a match [more to come in Expert Stryker Use]

Strategies to use vary on your opponent and on different maps

Bank maps (like day after and the bridge)

Always get the banks, because they are easy and fast money. On the Day After which I think is the most advantageous map for TFT, I usually have my first drone build a barracks, 2nd drone speed build that barracks, 3rd drone rallied to the derrick to build the refinery. When the barracks goes up, have the 2nd drone go speed build the refinery, and then go scout in the middle to check for the quick expanders. I then send a TFT commando to each of the banks. Banks there are worth 10,000 which is not a lot as compared to the bridges too far map so get them, but don't spend too much money getting them. Also, I prefer to let them go if the enemy tries to capture it with troops because at that time, I would spend my resources expanding into the center, as they use their resources to capture those banks with probably 5k or less there. Banks transfer really fast. If your on A bridge too far there is a lot more money, I believe its 30,000. Obviously its much more critical to hold that bank and probably worth the investment of garrisoning a few more commandos. TFT Commandos are by far the best unit to hold buildings at tier 1!

Versus USA
Against US I would place more emphasis on having heavy snipers, especially in ambushed positions to get x2 damage. Heavy Snipers can take out a FAT-V in one hit without the bonus. With the bonus they can cripple a Bradley in one shot. Furthermore they can snipe down those pesky javelins that pose a huge threat to your Strykers.

Watch out for FAT V rushes with javelins and marines, use heavy snipers in prone position or garrisoned around your base to defend, as one sniper kills a FAT-V in one shot. You can easily snipe down the rest of the guys inside as well.

Against a US player that bunkers in... with bunkers and javelins, build mortar strykers to bomb them from afar. You'll be able to kill the guys inside quite easily while being out of their field of view as well. Mortar strykers have a very long range.

Always be aware of what your enemy is doing because if he is doing a fast tech to defcon 2 to get helicoptors or abrams, you want to catch him in the middle of it and attack! Once he gets apaches with get some stinger rocket buggies, base defenses, or comanches asap.

Mid game attacks should consist of a combination of units in order to deal with many possible enemies. Usually a group of Stryker tanks should be your primary offensive unit, followed by a stryker APC to carry a few snipers into battle. When fighting, unload those snipers so they can prone and shoot down tanks from behind your line of stryker tanks. You can also use those snipers to setup ambushes that you can lure your opponent into. If your opponent is the type to carry troops into battle too, you may also want to add in a mortar stryker. When you engage, have your Strykers Tanks attack the tanks. Have your snipers attack tanks or FATVs if present. Have your mortar stryker hit any unit that has a group of troops around it...usually the unit that carried those troops into battle. If air is involved, just add a few stinger buggies into the mix and you should be fine. Just make sure you keep the buggies apart as you don't want them to get killed in one hit as collateral dmg from an apache. [More info on stryker microing next time]

In late game, spinners work great as a unit to counter just about everything! anti aircraft, anti tank, and thier spinner drone bombs blow things up like no other. With the stealth upgrade and in numbers you can annihilate whole armies without your opponent even knowing how it happened.

Versus Consortium

Consortium is the only side that I would recommend playing a little more defensively, because they will likely rush you first! & they expand faster than you. Build up a force, counterattack after the rush; if they don't rush, hit with a mixed force similar to the one described below in the "Fighting BTR's with Mixed Infantry" Section.

The BTR Rush

Consortium is probably your toughest match up, as they are very cheap and their BTR-80s are simply deadly. A good CST player will micromanage the BTR to do circles around your strykers. Many CST players will rush a fast BTR straight to your base. As their BTR costs 1500 and your upgraded anti tank stryker costs 2000, you'll likely have 1 and 1 each by the time CST gets to your base.

Unfortunately your anti tank stryker turrent turns at an alarmingly slow rate, never being able to catch up to a BTR circling you.

How do you stop it then? Cut the BTR's circling pattern off, you need to drive right in front of it. The BTR will stop and you turrent will be able to shoot it. Another tactic is to drive away and turn around so the turret will be realigned again.

If you've survived thus far, then your doing better. Another counter to the BTR rush is to have snipers. You can probably get 3 of them out by the time his BTR gets there...2-3 snipers = 2700 but if you went fast barracks first...instead of Weapons Facility, you'll save 750 there. Unfortunately 3 shots from a sniper doesn't even cripple a BTR which I hope will be fixed in the patch. Make sure to ambush at least one of them to get the 2x dmg. ALWAYS ALWAYS have your snipers in prone position when you have finished moving them to where u want. They go back into stealth quite fast after they fire, and many times your opponent if fired upon by multiple guys, won't even know where the firing was coming from. Another tip is to try and always have your units fire at their targets at the same time. If you wait for the BTR to move to the right position...or you move your snipers in the right position...patience... striking at once will blow up the BTR or cripple it, thus no counter attack back from it. This is the same rule for ALL battle micromanagement.\\

The attached replay shows you how to beat the notorious SELL EVERYTHING btr rush on the A Bridge too far map.

Fighting BTR's with Mixed Infantry
Have anti tank strykers to take out all of their vehicles...using 3 strykers targeting one unit at a time. Have mortar strykers hit BTRs with infantry. If CST pops out infantry when they engage...even if you target the BTR with your mortar...you'll send the infantry around it FLYING! w00t.gif Sometimes it is also good to mix in an APC stryker to carry in a few snipers and Task force commandos into battle. I actually recommend two snipers and 4 TFC. The 2 snipers will effectively hit tanks from behind your line of strykers, and your TFCs will be able to take out up to 2 helicoptors belive it or not w00t.gif Plus infantry means you'll be capturing their survivors if you win the battle which is key especially if the game lasts long.

Versus the USA *Updates*

Depending on map, I would mostly go infantry versus the USA.

Why?
Defending the FATV/ Javelin Rush
Well if you ambush a few snipers around your base...lets say 3... ur quite safe from early rushes. Secondly, one sniper hit (not even in ambush mode) will cripple a FAT-V, in ambush it'll blow it up. Hopefully your sniper is distant from the FAT-V explosion, then you'll be able to pick off javelins and marines from a distance and in cover with stealth!

Counter Attack!
I like to build more units against USA as TFT's infantry just rip through both early USA vehicles and infantry. I would counter attack as soon as I got 2 Anti Tank strykers and one APC stryker, you already have your 3 Snipers...now build 3 TFCs. Upgrade your TFC with scout drones...these are KEY! especially on maps with a lot of TREES around their base.

Use your two anti tank strykers to target each bradley, and it should explode them with 2 hits. Furthermore, when engaging...unload your troops...your 3 snipers in the back should also be able to hit a bradley and explode it instantly. When you unload your troops turn that APC stryker into either an antitank stryker or mortar stryker...depending if he is using many troops...like loaded up in bradleys or FATvs. Sometimes if your at his base...stop a little out of his view..unload your troops into TREE ambush positions... USE THE DRONES TO SCOUT OUT THE AREA to make sure there are NO JAVLEINS hiding in the trees! They detect all ambushed troops. If they have ambushed guys send in your TFC and snipers to clear them out, it'll be no problem with drones...capture them!!! When your guys are ambushed in those trees...hit the US and lure their guys into your ambush!

Fighting the Techer who goes DEFCON2 early
With the above combination of units you should be hitting them as they get DEFCON2 but before they get any DEFCON2 units.
Always put pressure and you won't end up in this situation...as it is a bad one. But if you are in this situation, watch to see if he is going apaches or abrams and counter appropriately.

If you are still in Tier 1, get some buggies with stingers and upgrade to DRONE! Spinners work well against the US. Spinners kill apaches...and US's major airforce...and can siege from a distance with their bomb drones...weakening abrams before you go in for the kill. Also, base defense basedefense!! When you upgrade to DRONE you can then change your base defense to have anti tank turrents, effectively against ABRAMS!

Versus TFT (mirror match!)

Stryker WARS

Honestly, you just need to use the same combination as mentioned above for the US. This time I would lean more on having MORE anti tank strykers than infantry. If you do have infantry, have snipers. TFC are only useful for capturing units. They also fight Comanches well as they can't be shot by them, so a few scattered around your base is good air defense for a cheap price. Capture capture enemy units!

TFT Mirrors is ALL about firepower, have more, micromanage it as mentioned above and you'll be fine!
There is no specific build that works, you just have to be flexible with what the enemy has built. Use what you have learned against CST and USA, build lots of Strykers and manage them!

Early raiding is effective with buggies sometimes if you can catch them off guard. Oh, and you don't really need mortar strykers as MOST (but not all) TFT players will not go MASS infantry as other factions, since its just more expensive for TFT. If there are only a few infantry you can run them over or shoot them with your cannons.

TO Drone or TO Shield- which to use in which situation

There is no clear cut strategy where you can only choose one or the other; you must decide based on the circumstances of the battle, which I can advise you on here.

DRONE
Strengths

- Spinners (anti tank, anti air, anti buildings and turtling opponents [great for slowing down an incoming army as well])
- Air Force
- Anti Superweapon

Weaknesses
- your opportunity costs, meaning you sacrifice the strengths of going SHIELD instead
- Slower Army than SHIELD

What do these strengths and weaknesses mean?
DRONE works great on smaller maps because Spinners are quite slow. Maps like a Bridge too far and Alcatraz are usually circumstances to go DRONE. Spinners are great for these maps because they are your all in one solution and on small maps they don't have to move very far to handle problems that arrive. At the same time, you can use spinner drones to siege the enemies base or armies from a distance. On a small map these drones don't have to go very far either.

Furthermore, JSF Air use is more for raiding unprotected areas. TFT don't have the strongest air units in the game, but can hit multiple targets, buildings and air w/ their JSF Planes. Though you must watch out because they are not stealth and can be hit by anti air easily. On the other hand, if you tech up early, Global Hawks are great reconassaince planes since they are stealth. With the upgrades, they are quite effective against ground units, and are probably the most effective Air to ground bomber since they have stealth and a10s do not.

DRONE works better against the US Army in my opinion because they are generally slower than CST. Going DRONE allows you to have Spinners and Air Force to counter US air units and you have the Anti-Tank upgrades for the base defense to handle the Abrams. Also, going drone, you have less stealth detection, thus it would be less effective agaisnt Akulas in late game.

Lastly, your anti superweapon drones are great! Its the only anti SW unit that can be mobile, thus you can protect
your offensive army during an attack, or you can blockade their base with them since they will intercept any SW flying overhead the areas too.

SHIELD
Strengths

- Fast Comanches (Stealth Helicoptors! great for hit n run tactics, enough said.)
- Fix those leveled up strykers (Repair facility)
- Transport Units, fast way to move around your army
- SHIELD units w/ stealth detect
- SWs (Superweapons)

Weaknesses
- your opportunity costs
- no strong tanks

What do these strengths and weaknesses mean?
Upgrading to SHIELD works better on bigger maps. Their comanches are great for raiding on big maps...hitting expansions and armies in transit, especially if they don't have air defenses. Comanches, in my opinion, should be a finishing move. I usually save up 3 before I attack, sending 1 each to each corner of their base to scout. Send 2 commanches to destroy the derrick to prevent any more $ income, and then have the 3rd Comanche to scout, making sure he can't build anti air. At the same time, if they build air defense units, 3 comanches attacking at the same time from stealth, giving it first strike capabilities, will kill the unit before it does any real dmg. The scout comanche is meant to cripple the enemy, watching for their builders building air defense. For US, kill the derrick, the power, and then builders. For CST, kill their derricks, Hips (builder), and the barracks to prevent anti air infantry. 3 comanches without the enemy knowing, you should be able to win the game if u are ahead in teching.

Also remember, land your comanches when F-15s come in, they won't get hit by air to air units.

Fast tech to comanches are also quite effetive if you know thats definitely what you want to do. You can build comanches right from beginning, tech to SHIELD while your doing that. When you get SHIELD, simply build the comanche rocket upgrades and your set!

If you go SHIELD, you should keep pumping out strykers as it is your primary tank unit still. But now you can build shield infantry to support them. If you thought optical camo troops were awesome, watch it fight a SHIELD infantry with stealth detect. Personally I think if you are going SHIELD infantry you need to get stealth detection to detect those Akulas. SHIELDS can take out anti air infantry out well and anti air vehicles too. Then you swoop in Comanches to kil the tanks...and the cloaked tanks, Akulas. SHIELD units are also good against the US ambushed troops with stealth, though it is much cheaper just to use TFC (commandos) with scout drones.

With your repair facility, you can quickly repair your vehicles and call in airlifts with the VTOL to pick up dmged vehicles. The repair fatV is a great addition to any mass stryker army. Repairing wins battles; not only can you repair broken vehicles, but you can preserve those veteran units. A 3 chevron ANYTHING can take on 2 of that same unit without experience, sometimes 3 if they don't attack at the same time! Keep your units alive! Finish off disabled vehicles with your veteran vehicles to gain exp!

Superweapons kill if your ahead in the teching game! Use if you know they are behind you on the tech tree! The howitzer is a 2 slot weapon, right between the US (1 slot) and CST (3-4slots?).

Build base defenses with anti air upgrades. Going SHIELD's biggest weakness is weak anti aircraft weapons. Thus, SHIELD generally works better against CST because they have less AIR power and comanches are great against Akulas. At the same time you can use field intelligence to reveal Akulas and then hit them with Comanches. Just watch out for those anti air infantry, cause comanches can't hit troops. Partnered with stealth VTOLS though, you can have a great air army though...because they can hit troops and drop SHIELDs in to wreck things up.

I hope this Strategy Guide has helped out the TFT community, please leave comments to let me know if it has been helpful. If so I will include more TFT Strategy Articles.

This post has been edited by Danny: Jul 13 2006, 02:05 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File THIS_IS_HOW_U_BEAT_btr.zip
Size: 241.11k
Size (unzipped): 1.04mb
Number of downloads: 594
Player Name Side Team
Attached File THIS_IS_HOW_U_BEAT_btr.zip
Size: 241.11k
Size (unzipped): 1.04mb
Number of downloads: 265
Player Name Side Team

Clan: EPIC

Game: StarCraft 2

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)