Why Do We Play CoH?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Kleatus Oct 24 2007, 02:57 AM
View Article

Clan: LAID

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Comrade One Oct 24 2007, 05:10 AM
That's why I'm an undergraduate vying for med school.

Eternal learning, that's what it's all about.

Maybe one day I can come up with a hard counter to cancer! smile.gif

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 3NuvioN Oct 24 2007, 06:27 AM
Great writeup, i mostly agree with everything. And yep, i am in med school as well comrade

+
# 4warzone2100 Oct 24 2007, 07:42 AM
Good words, youthpastor sleep.gif so where's the gr.org for irl? Watching Cops and knowing what not to do? Self help books? Feng shui? Or just helping more old ladies cross the road? innocent.gif

Game: Battlefield 2

+
# 5Gunnerside Oct 24 2007, 12:11 PM
Hear, hear!

+
# 6CptBanana Oct 24 2007, 14:56 PM
Nice write up!

I started playing because I love WWII history. Most RTS(s) before could only hold my attention for a few weeks, with CoH after those first few weeks I wanted to get better just like you said. Been playing for almost a year now, and every match is still exciting.

Not in Med school, but I have seen one on TV.

Game: None

+
# 7Dom_0.IRL Oct 24 2007, 15:32 PM
Interesting read.

I play COH for those reasons, the whole thing gives my body positive feedback via endorphins or whatnot.
In essence everything we do is because we feel positive doing so and is a drug, no?

I guess COH is my opiate then.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 8EUA Oct 24 2007, 17:18 PM
Nice article, I think that´s what most coh gamers are like...also myself...
Perfect article thumb.gif

+
# 9_Jon Oct 24 2007, 19:06 PM
I agree with most of this.
I will only add that I do not enjoy competing against other people. I prefer working with a friend (or friends) to outsmart the AI.

To me, the game is a dynamic puzzle that has a different solution each time.

+
# 10zealot919 Oct 24 2007, 22:15 PM
That pretty much sums it up, the fun, the thrill and the challenge. I'm in the british army so its good to keep me on edge. Shame a lot of it don't apply to real life.

Close enough for an RTS though.

+
# 11youthpastor Oct 25 2007, 13:34 PM
Thanks alot guys for the comments... I really appreciate it. smile.gif

+
# 12PappaRock Oct 25 2007, 16:32 PM
Very good read. I'll have to make a litany of it on a weekly basis to remind me of the reasons I play other than addiction.

+
# 13♥♥♥Raaman♥♥♥ Oct 29 2007, 22:36 PM
I don't play this game sad.gif

Game: Empire Total War

+
# 14Kleatus Oct 30 2007, 04:29 AM
QUOTE(Raaman™ @ Oct 29 2007, 17:36 PM) *

I don't play this game sad.gif

You should smile.gif

It's a very interesting perspective you present youthpastor, when I was do the final work on it I knew that this was one for the books smile.gif

+
# 15youthpastor Oct 30 2007, 15:14 PM
QUOTE(Kleatus @ Oct 30 2007, 00:29 AM) *

It's a very interesting perspective you present youthpastor

Thank you very much!

+
# 161eyedking Oct 30 2007, 17:16 PM
Sucks to be a detractor, but I didn't like it: face it, you play CoH because you're a nerd who's too lazy to get better at more demanding and productive activities, and are too lazy to switch to another game under the excuse you've 'invested too much time at it'.

Personal improvement is only gained through hard effort, be it studying chess tactics for endless hours, toiling through afternoons of rugby training, or solving endless amounts of mathematical exercises to get better at calculus/algebra/etc.

Improving at CoH only takes only a few minutes a day of watching mildly entertaining replays, finding out what is overpowered and what is underpowered, and a glance at the general strategy.

Get real.

This post has been edited by 1eyedking: Oct 30 2007, 17:23 PM

+
# 17Remox Nov 2 2007, 23:26 PM
i don't feel like personal improvement depends on chess tactics and algebra..., really i don't know what kind of improvement is that, of course is a demanding activity that it's very helpful, for example algebra, if we are studying computers and engineering, but personal improvement in my opinion is bigger than abstracts.

For example, in CoH you can play endless games, but they'll be always different, in online games you play versus human beings who offer you different challenges that demands always personal improvement, it might not be huge, but it's always very useful.

And don't forget CoH is a GAME, and as an entertainment you can't expect more than that.

Game: League of Legends

+
# 18AgmLauncher Nov 3 2007, 13:56 PM
But there is scientific proof that you can exercise your brain exactly like you can exercise your body.

It improves the rate at which your brain processes information and even helps fight off Alzheimer's. Quite literally, doing things like learning a language, practicing math problems (even sudoku), playing chess and sports keeps your mind sharp.

RTS games are no different, in fact they stimulate more areas of the brain than say, learning a language does.

Clan: CrAzY

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 19AfTeRShoCk Nov 3 2007, 16:03 PM
Figuring out what koreans mean with their boxes is quite an endeavor that stimulates your brain too, methinks tongue.gif

Game: Dawn of War 3

+
# 20Kleatus Nov 5 2007, 07:51 AM
QUOTE(AfTeRShoCk @ Nov 3 2007, 11:03 AM) *

Figuring out what koreans mean with their boxes is quite an endeavor that stimulates your brain too, methinks tongue.gif

Seconded. Here's one for you:

[][][][][][][][] [][][] [][][][][] [][][][][][][][][][][] [][][][][][][]

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)