Explore GameReplays...

The Asian Dynasties

Meast, ANZAC_Enigma_ & L_Clan_Socrates

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1DanaEileithyia Feb 17 2008, 18:22 PM
Use this topic to post post replays, screenshots, or anything else you may find suitable to improve their/your skills.

Good luck guys smile.gif!

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 2L_Clan_Socrates Feb 17 2008, 18:42 PM
Hi guys, here's hoping you're willing to learn a bit. smile.gif

Brief introduciton from me, my name is Donnie and I currently work at ES here in Dallas, Texas. I moved here last year when ES offered me a job after meeting me for the Warrior's Path tournament. I've played AoE games since Rise of Rome, and was a highly ranked player in Age of Kings (Pray_4YourLife, L_Clan_Socrates etc.). My strengths as a player are being able to quickly learn and adapt to games, as well as micro and macromanaging situations. My biggest weakness is often a lack of concentration or a generally lazy attitude when I play many games on ESO.

Please start here listing what you believe are your strengths and weaknesses. Also, please attach a game which you believe demonstrates both of these. (if you don't have one at the moment that's fine, just post one as you notice it happens if you need)

Also, please let me know what you hope to acheive through this project whether that's a certain rank, an understanding of the game, or to be a better player overall.

I'll typically be on ESO through the week between 12GMT-22GMT and sparingly on weekends. I'll be sure to give you both my MSN when I see you on ESO, I only ask that you please don't share it with others. smile.gif

Game: Age of Empires 3

+
# 3ANZAC_Enigma_ Feb 18 2008, 01:58 AM
Hey mate, my name is Rowan, im 18 and from Australia, been playing age games for about 10 years (mainly since RoR), but not competitively untill aoe3 really (i was a custom map nut in AoK). Im usually online every day, anywhere between midnight GMT to 1400* GMT. I would most like to get a deeper understanding of the game/the game mechanics, because i think it would make me alot more versatile and be able to effectively try new things, which is more fun in my opinion. I'm sure that would also rise my rank, but i dont mind so much about what my rating is.
I'd say my strengths are in my knowledge of the game (there is still alot to learn though), and my weaknesses would be my micro/execution and having a lack of concentration (im not always very alert when i play drol.gif ).
I'm afraid i dont have any recs of me playing british, this is the best one i have of me playing:
Attached File Dutch_V_French.age3Yrec
Size: 433.8k
Number of downloads: 44
Player Name Side Team
[ANZAC] ANZAC_Enigma_ 1
[ONU] SkoL_Rlz 2

will you be online as Wacko_ ? or will you contact me,

This post has been edited by ANZAC_Enigma_: Feb 19 2008, 09:45 AM

+
# 4L_Clan_Socrates Feb 18 2008, 03:19 AM
I should be online as WaCkO_ tomorrow, I'll add you.

+
# 5L_Clan_Socrates Feb 18 2008, 14:46 PM
Okay, the first 8 minutes of this game should give you plenty to learn from.

First, when you're getting a treasure always shoot the Guardian then run away until it retreats. Once it begins its retreat shoot it asap and you'll get 2-3 free shots at it before it comes back to attack you. This would have saved your explorer a lot of HP. Do this even if you have a pet early in Discovery.

If you're going to leave your TC idle to save up enough food to go Colonial you do not need 6 guys on gold. Adjust your economy to your strategy in situations like these.

When transitioning to Colonial as Dutch you need to be gathering wood. You need 300 wood once reaching Colonial (300 wood + 400 wood age up = 2 banks).

You make a Market which is a good thing, however you get the woodcutting upgrade when you only have 2 villagers on wood.

To avoid idle villager time use shift+click. It works like this: Let's say you want villagers to gather crates and when they're done you want them to return to mining gold. To do this, hold shift and right click your villager to gather each crate, then click on the gold mine you wish him to return to. After that simply release shift and your villager will go from crate to crate, and when finished he'll go to his gold mine.

When playing against a French player (situational) be sure to scout and see if he's building a forward or defensive Barracks. It's also important to scout his base to see if he may be attempting to Fast Fortress.

When a player is in your base and you have no army be sure to put your military buildings in the back of your base. You make the mistake here of building your Barracks up front which costs you a villager while it's building.

With your base layout this game don't be afraid to use walls. Hitting and Running with 20 range skirms around walls can be devastating in Colonial fights.

That's it for now, if you have any questions let me know.

+
# 6meast Feb 18 2008, 18:26 PM
Hey.
My name is Matthew, im 21 years old from England. Iv been playing aoe3 online since it came out and played AoE2/AoC offline for years but never online.
I think one of my main strengths is being able to read whats going on in a game like when to attack/push/pull back etc( being a replay review for a year helped me i guess)
My weakness is mainly my micro, sometimes i get in a total mess when i have 3-4 type of units, my timing is sometimes pretty bad too.
I hope to generally just get better all round and have a bit more confidence with using brits in 1 vs 1.
I'm on ESO most week nights from 1800GMT until 2300GMT ++ and sometimes weekends, shall i add your Wacko_ account ? My account is just meast.

I will attach a game asap, thanks smile.gif

This post has been edited by meast: Feb 18 2008, 18:27 PM

+
# 7ANZAC_Enigma_ Feb 19 2008, 00:46 AM
Here is another game, me as dutch vs ottomans, in which i got very lucky. I realise that i didnt do the shift click thing at the start too (3 idol vills for ages wacko.gif) I asked him after the game why he didnt kill the 3 canon which won me the game, and he said he didnt see them tongue.gif.
I realise that i made a few mistakes in this one, but any feedback would still be appreciated smile.gif this was my first time playing against otto as dutch since i was noobie in vanilla, so i'm not really sure what the best way to play them is.
Attached File ANZAC_Enigma__Dutch_v_Otto.age3Yrec
Size: 414.97k
Number of downloads: 67
Player Name Side Team
[ANZAC] ANZAC_Enigma_ 1
[ÇâL] johnread 2

This post has been edited by ANZAC_Enigma_: Feb 19 2008, 01:08 AM

+
# 8ANZAC_Enigma_ Feb 19 2008, 01:07 AM
Here is one i just with me as british vs a chinese rush. I have little idea how to play vs chinese.. i should have have 6 longbows in my deck i think, but when he got those cav in i had little chance
Attached File ANZAC_Enigma__British_V_Chinese.age3Yrec
Size: 365.99k
Number of downloads: 51
Player Name Side Team
[Kahn] sa001976 1
[ANZAC] ANZAC_Enigma_ 2

This post has been edited by ANZAC_Enigma_: Feb 19 2008, 01:08 AM

+
# 9L_Clan_Socrates Feb 19 2008, 01:56 AM
I'll be sure to comment in the morning. I hope you focused on the things I reviewed from this last game=]

+
# 10ANZAC_Enigma_ Feb 19 2008, 03:59 AM
My other dutch one i already played before i saw your comment, but i think my brit one had a better start smile.gif

And here is 1 more rec (sorry)
This one is the best one i have of my brit playing style getting into action i think... i just made the big mistake of not getting my boat deck (luckily i put 2 caravels in my normal deck!) i havnt watched it myself yet, i think my opponent wasnt the best, but meh here it is
Attached File ANZAC_Enigma__British_vs_Russians.age3Yrec
Size: 393.54k
Number of downloads: 42
Player Name Side Team
[ANZAC] ANZAC_Enigma_ 1
[Rus|E] Woltschek 2

This post has been edited by ANZAC_Enigma_: Feb 19 2008, 07:21 AM

+
# 11L_Clan_Socrates Feb 19 2008, 16:13 PM
QUOTE(ANZAC_Enigma_ @ Feb 19 2008, 01:07 AM) *

Here is one i just with me as british vs a chinese rush. I have little idea how to play vs chinese.. i should have have 6 longbows in my deck i think, but when he got those cav in i had little chance
Attached File ANZAC_Enigma__British_V_Chinese.age3Yrec
Size: 365.99k
Number of downloads: 51
Player Name Side Team
[Kahn] sa001976 1
[ANZAC] ANZAC_Enigma_ 2

Okay, plenty of mistakes in this game.

You need to be aware of your starting crates. When you see you were lucky enough to have a 300 wood start as British you need to make sure and get your 2nd house built asap.

Also, you need to lure in your 2nd hunting much earlier. I typically lure in my 2nd herd as soon as I find it, but it's very situational. In a case against China where you know you could get rushed it's very important to get this herd in near your TC.

Also, when against a potential rush I choose the Governor (Outpost + 200gold) politician. The added defenses are always very helpful and the 200 gold can help fuel your army.

Don't use Virginia Company, you'd be better off sending +20% wood chopping. In this game your build Build Order would have been 3 Vills -> 700 wood.

If you're going to defensively making Longbows be sure to make wall segments around them as enemy cav can run through them quickly.

My recommendation for this game would have gone as follows:

3Vills -> Governor politician
While aging up have 7 on food, 3 on gold, rest on wood
Make 1 house while transitioning
When you reach colonial ship 700 wood, have your outpost from aging up be built defensively near your TC.
Build a stable asap, start training Hussars
When the 700 wood arrives construct at least 1 outpost, maybe 2 if you think it's going to be a big rush
Raid with hussars while having towers/TC pick off Qiang pikes
Once a few Pikes are down send in your Hussars to finish off his army

+
# 12meast Feb 19 2008, 20:15 PM
Heres a brit mirror i played earlier, it shows how slow and out of pratise i am in 1 vs 1 tongue.gif
Any help would be appreciated.

Attached File(s)
Attached File meast_britmirror.age3Yrec
Size: 406.48k
Number of downloads: 47
Player Name Side Team
[EBBD] meast 1
[~IOM~] cs_blaCkout 2

+
# 13meast Feb 19 2008, 21:02 PM
Heres another of me winning, its a sea map this time so i manage to get a ok sea boom going whilst holding him with lbow/musk. I then push with musk + lbow cannons, i manage to win but my micro/eco managment was pretty horrible towards the end.

Attached File(s)
Attached File meast_britmirror2.age3Yrec
Size: 412.92k
Number of downloads: 49
Player Name Side Team
[VB] numba1fan 1
[EBBD] meast 2

+
# 14ANZAC_Enigma_ Feb 20 2008, 00:46 AM
thanks for the feedback, i think we are going to have to pre-arrange times for us to meet on ESO though if we want it to happen, because the regular playing hours you stated are 11 pm - 10 am my time ( sleepy time ), so i'm willing to maybe stay late or get up a bit early or whatever but i'll need to know if you'll be online too smile.gif

This post has been edited by ANZAC_Enigma_: Feb 20 2008, 00:48 AM

+
# 15L_Clan_Socrates Feb 20 2008, 02:30 AM
Post your MSN here and I'll send you an invite. I don't really play much on the weekends but perhaps we could work something out.

+
# 16ANZAC_Enigma_ Feb 20 2008, 02:51 AM
[email protected]

+
# 17ANZAC_Enigma_ Feb 20 2008, 12:45 PM
ill log in in about 8 hours from now, ( 21 GMT i think) hopefully you can be online smile.gif

This post has been edited by ANZAC_Enigma_: Feb 20 2008, 12:45 PM

+
# 18L_Clan_Socrates Feb 20 2008, 15:10 PM
QUOTE(meast @ Feb 19 2008, 20:15 PM) *

Heres a brit mirror i played earlier, it shows how slow and out of pratise i am in 1 vs 1 tongue.gif
Any help would be appreciated.

If you read my post about Enigma's game you will find some good advice there. Things like clicking to avoid hunters reload animation, shift+clicking etc. However there are a few small things here you could also work on:

You spot his explorer creeping treasures but walk right past and let him have the 80 food treasure. In this case you should either a) go for stealing his treasure or b) melee his explorer so you're killing him and getting an extra 45 XP. Never let someone get an uncontested treasure if you can help it.

Also in early Colonial you construct a Stable. However, you don't have near the economy to support training troops from a Barracks and a Stable. (not to mention you make a stable when you see the opponent is going Musketeers) This wood would have been better spent on another house, a market, or perhaps even another Barracks but certainly not a stable at this point in the game.

These were the things, on top of the things mentioned in the post regarding Enigma's game I think you should focus on for now. The creating a stable when you did is a big error that we'd like to avoid in the future. Make sure that there's not something better you could be doing with the resources you currently have, in this case I watched the game until 8 minutes and you still didn't have 1 Hussar sad.gif

+
# 19ANZAC_Enigma_ Feb 21 2008, 02:04 AM
OK i think this game is an improvement on that chinese one you watched
Attached File ANZAC_Enigma__British_V_Russia__W_.age3Yrec
Size: 561.06k
Number of downloads: 49
Player Name Side Team
[ANZAC] ANZAC_Enigma_ 1
[VI] Artiem 2

Do you have any suggestions on how i should have played?
And which areas do you think i improved/did not improve on?

This post has been edited by ANZAC_Enigma_: Feb 21 2008, 02:21 AM

+
# 20L_Clan_Socrates Feb 22 2008, 00:51 AM
I should have a review of the game for you tomorrow, was busy this morning unfortunately.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)