Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Centralise Custom Maps

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Epoch Mar 16 2008, 08:43 AM
I think the guys and girls at Relic have gone the right way in farming out cheat reporting to RoC. They have also been doing a great job with the Beta over the last few months and I think the community as a whole really appreciate it.

So what next for the legend that is CoH? I know it must seem like we are demanding infants always screaming "I want, I want!" but to truly move CoH onto the next level I feel that custom map support needs to be addressed in some fashion.

From what I can tell sharing maps via peer to peer is not going to happen as the maps are too large to transfer quickly between certain computers. This really leaves us with the option of having a centralised site where people can download the maps from. I realise several sites already exist, but none have the feel of an official site, with the top maps always on display or a ranking system like they have for Gr.org replays. (correct me if I am wrong).

I think if relic were to name one site, maybe bring in some map modders from different sites, put a link on the news page to the site and make it official, custom map use would spread. The top five or so maps over time (after a vote) could then be added with the users permission to the automatch rotation. A pre signed agreement, on submitting to the map site would allow relic to take the map and modify it and use it in its commercial product much like a terms and conditions which we all sign already.

I think that would work and cover all the bases, what do you guys think?

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Tanachi Mar 16 2008, 09:19 AM
they would also need balance designers since most of the maps give a advantage at a start

we need to first fix the team games first then move on to maps

+
# 3Playermyth Mar 16 2008, 10:59 AM
QUOTE(Tanachi @ Mar 16 2008, 01:19 AM) *

they would also need balance designers since most of the maps give a advantage at a start

we need to first fix the team games first then move on to maps

That I agree with, usually maps with symmetrical designs may seem the most dull but are the simplest and most balanced. But there can only be so many symmetrical maps before you see redundancy.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 4Epoch Mar 16 2008, 15:06 PM
It has been said before, this game is never going to be "balanced" as it is too complex. It could be balanced for 1v1 (probably) but then 2v and up wwould be well out of whack. More maps is what the community wants and needs right now and this would be the easiest way to spice things up imo. The balance patch is over, i think balance will be left alone for a while now.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)