Explore GameReplays...

Supreme Commander

Discuss "10 Tips for Newer Players"

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Gnats3 Sep 3 2008, 00:22 AM
In an effort to get some more content up, I've written the first installment in a series of tips articles. This one covers 10 tips that better players will know but newbs and average ones might not. If you have any comments or suggestions, you can post them here smile.gif.

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+
# 2richardy Sep 3 2008, 20:56 PM
well as a noob i think they are great, good solid tips cheers..

+
# 3Shazard Sep 4 2008, 10:36 AM
I read the tips. I read other strategies. And seems like all other strategies stress importance of scouting, radar, recon. The 10 tips somehow does not include scouting. So now I am confused as noob. I play with my computer, learning to walk. And sometimes I have and sometimes I don't have radar, don't feel the difference, computer anyway comes and kick my ass and other parts of body!

+
# 4richardy Sep 4 2008, 15:23 PM
dude theres so much to learn he could write a top 100 list ! lol i think for top 10 they are really good.

scouting and harashing is important but not as important as your BO and economy to build faster than your opponent in my in my oppinon

+
# 5Gnats3 Sep 4 2008, 20:44 PM
They aren't the top 10 tips. They are just the first 10 that I thought of tongue.gif. Scouting is still important but I couldn't think of a particular trick to explain.

+
# 6perkl Sep 10 2008, 17:50 PM
For a newbie, "Don't build PD, build tanks" is a better tip.

"Build enough scouts for every group" is likely to be a good newbie hint. Or simpler, "Don't forget to build radar".

And seems like all other strategies stress importance of scouting, radar, recon.

You probably are familiar with the math of attrition. You have 10 units, they have 10 units, an unit dies with 10 hits, who wins (Correct answer: whoever concentrates fire and shoots first)

Consider a situation where you have 2 spots to defend and 10 units against your opponents 9 units. If you split your forces in half, your enemy will send all of his into one place and you will be defeated in detail. The correct solution is to keep your units in reserve and SCOUT both locations constantly. That gives you the initiative to send a superior force to a location. Thus the importance of radar.

This post has been edited by perkl: Sep 10 2008, 17:52 PM

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 7Shadowfury333 Sep 11 2008, 05:04 AM
QUOTE(perkl @ Sep 10 2008, 10:50 AM) *
"Build enough scouts for every group" is likely to be a good newbie hint. Or simpler, "Don't forget to build radar".

This advice is paramount. It alone allowed me to win the games I did. At least two were by com snipes which were made possible by radar and good scouting. The rest were simply won by knowing where to strike to weaken his economy and army.

This post has been edited by Shadowfury333: Sep 11 2008, 05:05 AM

Game: None

+
# 8perkl Sep 11 2008, 23:58 PM
Ten tips were a good idea and got me thinking. Here's my top ten for beginning players (not that we see them that much anymore):

1) Build enough power

Should be self-explanatory: no power, no production, no army.

2) Build enough factories

In other games one factory is enough to crank out enough troops. Here you need at least 6 to stay even. It's not a mistake to build 8-10 factories and keep one or two idle: when you get to reclaiming, you can start producing right away.

3) Remember radar coverage

Seeing what your opponent has is huge. Forgetting radar (or scout units, air recon etc.) costs games.

4) Play aggressively

Scout often, raid often, push constantly. Your enemy will not kill himself.

5) Build units, not buildings

Tanks win games. Point defenses prolong defeat. There are exceptions, but until you know them this is a valid guideline.

6) Learn at least one starting build order

Land factory which builds an engineer, 2 power, 2 mexes and 2 more power while engineer builds 2 more mexes. Learn at least this BO, or you're guaranteed to lose when your economy stutters right away. There are other, better build orders. Find out what they are and what they aim for.

7) Micromanage

The stronger and faster the unit, the more you gain for micromanaging it. ACU is the most important unit to micro, since it can single-handedly kill a hundred tanks in a game. Goes for other units, too: forgetting to move your Monkeylord closer is a stupid way to lose it.

8) Build constantly

You will most likely lose mexes, power gens and other buildings. Rebuild them, as many times as it takes. Not rebuilding is giving up.

9) If something doesn't work, try something else

You don't have to keep building the same units all the time. Feel free to switch or tech up: even if you lose, you might learn something.

There is one important exception and that is tech 1 tanks. No matter what you try, these are always useful.

10) Play humans

Playing against computer teaches you bad habits and sets you up for defeat. Play humans, you'll be surprised how quickly you'll advance.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 9Shadowfury333 Sep 12 2008, 03:20 AM
QUOTE(perkl @ Sep 11 2008, 16:58 PM) *
Ten tips were a good idea and got me thinking. Here's my top ten for beginning players (not that we see them that much anymore):

Yeah, like me. Although not a beginner to RTS games, my StarCraft experience has kinda hampered me a bit, as I tend to forget how much to macro (In SC, you get 1-2 production buildings at start, and usually don't have more than 5 until after your main base and natural expansion are saturated, which usually takes at least 5 minutes. SupCom, I've found, often has 4-5 production structures within 3-4 minutes, and it can keep expanding)

Thanks for the basic tips. I've been finding I use the advanced tips, but never really learned the basics.

This post has been edited by Shadowfury333: Sep 12 2008, 03:22 AM

Game: None

+
# 10justino1799 Sep 17 2008, 02:53 AM
kinda of random but a noob question....how do u give units to allies
for instance your about to die and you want to give your remaining units
thanks

+
# 11Kryo Sep 17 2008, 11:39 AM
QUOTE(justino1799 @ Sep 17 2008, 04:53 AM) *

kinda of random but a noob question....how do u give units to allies
for instance your about to die and you want to give your remaining units
thanks

go to the diplomacy menu "F5". or is it F4?^^

Game: Planetary Annihilation

+
# 12Gnats3 Sep 17 2008, 11:57 AM
Ctrl+x to select all, then go to the diplomacy menu (at the top somewhere). There should be a "give selected units" option.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)