Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth

A Visual Guide to the Weather in 1.03

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Emissary Oct 23 2005, 04:32 AM
Here is a visual guide to the new weather system of Patch 1.03. This guide only considers the match up between FoD and FoL because weather will most likely not be much of a factor in FoD/FoD and FoL/FoL games.

Apoc’s Statements:
“- Darkness and Freezing rain now take longer to recharge (5 min) than their effectiveness time (3 min)”
“- Cloudbreak recharge time is now 6m 15s”

Basically, these parameters will create three scenarios as to how to use the weather powers in Patch 1.03. Remember, however, that these patterns will most likely develop as the game progresses and most likely after the FoD has used Darkness/Rain a few times unchallenged before the FoL obtains Cloud Break – if the PP progression remains similar to 1.02.

Key:
Attached Image = Darkness/Rain cast (3 min duration (Grey), 2 min recharge (Red) = 5 min total)
Attached Image = Cloud Break cast (6 min 15 sec)
Attached Image = Darkness/Rain in affect (not cancelled by Cloud Break)

First, let’s look at what will happen if Darkness/Rain and Cloud Break are cast as soon as they are available (just to see how the timers match).

Attached Image
The first Darkness/Rain (D/R) cast is cancelled out by Cloud Break (CB). The second D/R cast lasts for 1 min and 15 sec before CB cancels it. The third D/R cast lasts 2 min 30 sec before CB cancels it out. The fourth D/R cast lasts the full 3 min. If the FoL player casts CB as soon as it is ready (4th time ), you can see that it is useless because D/R is not in affect at the time and then when D/R is cast the 5th time it is unchallenged. The cycle will repeat after this point (6th D/R and 5th CB are same as 1st D/R and 1st CB).

Let’s look at the three real scenarios:

Scenario 1

Attached Image
The first Darkness/Rain (D/R) cast is cancelled out by Cloud Break (CB). The second D/R cast lasts for 1 min and 15 sec before CB cancels it. The third D/R cast lasts 2 min 30 sec before CB cancels it out. The fourth D/R cast lasts the full 3 min.
Now, the FoL player waits to cast CB again (4th time) until D/R is cast the fifth time (which should be easy) and the cycle begins again.
Notice that the lulls between D/R get progressively shorter (5 min, 3 min 45 sec, 2 min 30 sec) and then there is a long lull (7 min) as the cycle begins again.
So, basically in this scenario, the longest period of D/R is followed by the longest period without it.

Scenario 2

Attached Image
Darkness/Rain cast as soon as it is available, Cloud Break cast every other time.
As can be seen, D/R gets its full 3 min affect each time, but is followed by a 7 min lull each time.

Scenario 3

Attached Image
In this scenario, D/R is cancelled out by the first CB. The second D/R lasts for 1 min 15 sec before CB cancels it. Then the third D/R is cast and lasts the full 3 min. CB is delayed until D/R is cast again and the cycle repeats.

What if FoD delays casting Darkness/Rain?
Well then the following situation could develop:
Attached Image
Any delay in casting D/R will be an advantage to the FoL player since it makes the lull periods between D/R longer until the cycle resumes.

So, which scenario is best for a FOL player?
In playing with Scenario 1 (20 minute cycle), there are a total of 6 min 45 sec of D/R in affect and 13 min 15 sec without it. So, D/R is in affect 33.75% of the time.
In Scenario 2 (10 minute cycle), there are a total of 3 min of D/R and 7 min without it. So, D/R is in affect 30% of the time.
Scenario 3 is a 15 min cycle. During the cycle, D/R is in affect for 4 min and 15 sec. There are 10 min 45 sec without it. So, D/R is in affect for 28.33% of the time.

I’ll leave it up to you to decide which is the best. Each has some advantages and some disadvantages. It will depend on the current situation in the game more than anything. Remember that if you are using Scenario 2 or 3, you can switch to Scenario 1 at the end of each cycle.

Please let me know if you find any problems with my times or analysis - I did my best, but I'm not perfect smile.gif.

This post has been edited by TimeForLight: Oct 23 2005, 05:20 AM

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2AnDrEj Oct 23 2005, 04:40 AM
Very nice analysis of the weather system. Good work!! I like it.

p.s I'm also goin with the first way. It minimizes the amount of time the darkness/rain is in effect.

This post has been edited by AnDrEj: Oct 23 2005, 04:41 AM

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 3Emissary Oct 23 2005, 05:07 AM
Edit:
Added Scenario 3 to above guide. I knew that I would miss something frusty.gif

I saw the other 2 patterns before making the guide, but I don't think that I would have seen this third one without making it.

This post has been edited by TimeForLight: Oct 23 2005, 05:37 AM

+
# 4AnDrEj Oct 23 2005, 05:13 AM
Over all that scenario creates the minimum time for the Darkness/Rain BUT it depends if the enemy is attacking your base fore example.....You don't really want it to last its full 3min in that case

+
# 5Arctic Aurora Oct 23 2005, 06:34 AM
A great visual breakdown and analysis thumb.gif This should help explain things in clearer terms. thum.gif

Clan: Teh Admins

Game: World in Conflict

+
# 6HeartBreakOne Oct 23 2005, 06:37 AM
A lot of controversy over how the system works and its great its simplified.

+
# 7total90 Oct 23 2005, 09:18 AM
damn its complicated wacko.gif

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 8teamspirit77 Oct 23 2005, 09:39 AM
Good visual guide thumb.gif

But for scenerio 1, i think that it's not reasonable for FOL to cast the 3rd CB to cancel the D/R for only 30 seconds. As a FOL player, I shall wait 30 more seconds for the 3 D/R to timeout. Then use my 3rd CB to cancel my opponent's 4th D/R.

Anyway, it is just for ideal case. If I'm under pressure or under attacked, I may consider to cast my 3rd CB as soon as possible. All depends on how the game is going.

+
# 9sardick Oct 23 2005, 10:01 AM
Great work! thumb.gif This explains clearerly how the weather ability wll work in 1.03. Well done m8 thumb.gif thumb.gif

+
# 10AsHs Oct 23 2005, 10:59 AM
QUOTE(total90 @ Oct 23 2005, 11:18 AM) *

damn its complicated wacko.gif

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 11Redleaf Oct 23 2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks a lot Apoc and TimeForLight. Really appreciate thingy there smile.gif.

Game: FPS

+
# 12el joeyo Oct 23 2005, 15:31 PM
weather is fixed banana.gif
rohan rides happy.gif

nice work TimeForLight thum.gif

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 13Emissary Oct 23 2005, 15:49 PM
QUOTE(teamspirit77 @ Oct 23 2005, 05:39 AM) *

Anyway, it is just for ideal case. If I'm under pressure or under attacked, I may consider to cast my 3rd CB as soon as possible. All depends on how the game is going.

Exactly (use Scenario 1). If you are under heavy siege and about to have your defenses broken, you might want to go ahead and cast it (even though it is only cancelling out the last 30 sec of D/R) to hopefully turn the tide before you get swept away.

+
# 14WISE Architect Oct 23 2005, 16:19 PM
GJ TFL im very proud of ya biggrin.gif

Clan: [Wise]

+
# 15Emissary Oct 23 2005, 16:41 PM
QUOTE(Architect @ Oct 23 2005, 12:19 PM) *

GJ TFL im very proud of ya biggrin.gif

Thanks Arch wub.gif It's always nice to get a pat on the back from your big brother.

+
# 16teutonic. Oct 24 2005, 07:07 AM
great job TFL smile.gif

Game: Blizzard

+
# 17lipper Oct 24 2005, 10:26 AM

hmmz,

time to start playing with a big stop watch biggrin.gif

im on to timex see if i can get a sponsorhip biggrin.gif

lolz i do have a clock on my monitor though it always gets a look when see chants GC criplle aod bullrog etc ( I know the recharge time of by heart , sad sad sad whistling.gif )

but i think the weather might take a while to get down 0wn3d.gif

+
# 18Grubbs Oct 24 2005, 17:01 PM
QUOTE(lipper @ Oct 24 2005, 12:26 PM) *

hmmz,

time to start playing with a big stop watch biggrin.gif

im on to timex see if i can get a sponsorhip biggrin.gif

lolz i do have a clock on my monitor though it always gets a look when see chants GC criplle aod bullrog etc ( I know the recharge time of by heart , sad sad sad whistling.gif )

but i think the weather might take a while to get down 0wn3d.gif

laugh.gif thats funny

great work guys

+
# 19Arctic Aurora Oct 24 2005, 17:18 PM
This kind of explanation could be sticky material ust to clear up the confusion, but there's already too many as it is tongue.gif

Clan: Teh Admins

Game: World in Conflict

+
# 20Phoenix Rising Oct 31 2005, 23:53 PM
I'll prbably stick to cancelling every second cast...
it seems much simpler.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)