Explore GameReplays...

The Asian Dynasties

Portuguese Micro Guide*

Closed Topic Start new topic
# 1HERO Nov 13 2005, 03:53 AM
Micro Guide
IPB Image

In this guide, I'll point point out and illustrate the foundations of Portuguese Micromanagement. I'll walk you through the basics on how to micro your Cassadors, your Dragoons and your Organ Guns vs various enemy units. Most of the things here are self-explainatory, but there's always a few things here and there that you can pick up.

Unit Stats

IPB ImageVeteran Cassador: 25 Food & 90 Coin
° Role
- Anti-Infantry
° Stats
· Age Available: Fortress
· Hitpoints: 85
· Pop. Use: 1
· Pop. Limit: Unlimited
· Resists: -60% Range Damage
· Speed: 4.5
° Attacks
- Range: 26 Range Damage, Range 20, 2x Damage bonues vs. Infantry
- Hand: 5 Hand Damage, 2x Damage bonus vs. Cavalry
- Siege: 12 Siege Damage, Range 6
· Modes: Volley, Stagger, Melee, & Defend
° Experience
- Build: 12
- Kill: 12

IPB ImageVeteran Dragoon: 90 Food & 90 Coin
° Role
- Anti-Cavalry
° Stats
· Hitpoints: 240
· Pop. Use: 2
· Resists: -30% Ranged Damage
· Speed: 7.25
° Attacks
- Range: 24 Damage, Range 12, 3x Damage bonus vs. Cavalry, .5x Damage bonus vs. Settlers
- Hand: 12 Hand Damage, 3x Damage bonus vs. Cavalry
- Siege: 10 Siege Damage, Range 6
· Modes: Stagger, Melee, Defend
° Experience
- Build: 18
- Kill: 18

IPB ImageOrgan Gun: 100 Wood & 300 Coin
° Role
- Anti-Infantry
° Stats
· Hitpoints: 150
· Pop. Use: 4
· Resists: -75% Ranged Damage
· Speed: Limber 4, Bombard 1.6
° Attack
- Bombard: 30 Siege Damage, Range 24, Area 2, .5x Damage bonus vs. Artillery, .5x Damage bonus vs. Ships, .5x Damage bonus vs Cavalry, & .5x Damage bonus vs Buildings
· Modes: Limber & Bombard
° Experience
- Build: 40
- Kill: 40

Now, onto the fun part!

IPB Image

All of Portugal's high-end units are long ranged, heavy hitting, LOW HP counter-style units. Because they're so fragile you have to try your best not to lose them in major battles. If the enemy outnumbers you greatly, and you do not have enough counter-units to repel him, your best bet is running away and fighting some other time. Portuguese units are very expensive to replace so try not to lose them!

IPB Image

Use your hit and run tactics to pick off enemy units. Notice how my small raid force of ~12 guys (6 Goons and 6 Cassadors) flees from a greater force when overpowered.

IPB Image

Also note that I take several of his men with me with my superior ranged attacks.

IPB Image

A Cassador hits for 26 Ranged Damage, x2 vs Infantry. That's a whopping 52 dmg PER shot from a Vetern Cassador. That means 3 Cassadors can kill a 150 HP Musketeer in a single volley. Shit.. enough Cassadors can take down a Hussar! erm.. from afar that is.

IPB Image

When using Organ Guns, placement must be perfect in order to maximize their anti-infantry abilities. Notice how I target my Organ Guns are seperate targets within his army. Because of the Organ Guns ability to spray their shots, they do extremely high Area of Effect damage to infantry-type units.

Also notice the placement of my Dragoons. I attack from the front to draw enemy fire and stall for my Organ Guns then I retreat to the rear to minimize damage. Dragoons are actually really good vs enemy light-infantry. Low HP units such as Longbows and Strelets take nice dmg from Dragoons while Dragoons themselves take 30% less. 240 HP goes a long way when you have that much resist.

IPB Image

IPB Image

As you can see, Organ Guns absolutely DESTROY infantry. Use their awesome 24 range to pick off anyone that tries to run.

IPB Image

Because Organ Guns only have 150 HP and their your best counter to light infantry, it's wise to protect them with the best of your ability. Use your Muskets and Pikes to cover your Organ Guns and form a tight, protective barrier vs enemy flankers. Hussars and other calvary take Organ Guns down pretty easily so make sure you cover your guns at all times. It's also wise to keep your Dragoons in the back since they do crap siege damage but offer excellent cover vs enemy horses.

IPB Image

The above screen shows the importance of multi-volleying. A multi-volley is simply: A drag and click method of attacking with seperate groups of Cassadors so you don't waste your shots. It's hard to get a grip of it at first, but once you maximize your clicking skills, you'll truely see the power of this kind of unit micro. 52 dmg from 20 range to any Heavy-Infantry means a lot - Especially when Cassadors reload at 4.5 speed and run slower than a Skrimisher. Your shots really matter so you might as well do it correctly. Firing on a single Musket with 7 Cassadors is a waste. Split your shots up so you deliver 2 kill shots to 2 units in a single volley. Now that's POWER.

IPB Image

When you get better at it, you'll know. Results prove for themselves.

IPB Image

Multi-volley also works on infantry that try and run away. 20 Range is HUGE.

IPB Image

Call in reinforcements depending on the situation that you're in. If you see enemy horses, send your card for Dragoons. If you see mass light infantry, send in some Organ Guns to shred them to bits. If your opponent is massing Muskets, run circles around him with multi-volleying Cassadors. The possibilities are near endless as long as you have the right kind of counter at the right time.

Clan: EPIC

Game: Dawn of War 2

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)