Explore GameReplays...

Act of War: Direct Action

"SHIELD units are horrendously overpowered"

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1DerPapierTiger Dec 6 2005, 23:18 PM
I just found something hilarious on wiki. A quick stub from it:

Despite the fact that Act of War didn't add many innovative concepts to the RTS genre, its most prominent gameplay feature was balance. Unlike most RTS games in which some units are massed and are used almost exclusively over other units for an easy victory, Act of War required you to use practically every unit available, which allowed for great gameplay diversity. The only problem was that Task Force Talon's SHIELD units, which are the prototype for mechanized exoskeletons, are horrendously overpowered and aren't that hard to produce en masse. Despite being relatively easy to destroy with a well organized group of anti-armor infantry, they can take on almost anything. They can use small and fast missiles to take out garrisoned troops, buildings, and armor, and can easily switch to chain guns to take out helicopters and infantry. The only things they are truly vulnerable to are planes and super weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_of_War:_Direct_Action

ROFL. Only planes and SW can take them out. laugh.gif

EDIT: I just gave a plug for GR.org there. Should I edit this junk with correct info? tongue.gif

This post has been edited by DerPapierTiger: Dec 6 2005, 23:32 PM

Clan: Teh Staff

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2BuckyBoy Dec 7 2005, 03:58 AM
LOL.. the shield unit is the most useless unit in the whole game. The armor is very light... all they're good for is stealth detection.
anyway good find Tiger!.. very funny smile.gif

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3jhonnymelago Dec 7 2005, 04:23 AM
They are very good but u must have snipers near cause bomb truck will leave u very vulnerable

Game: Act of War: Direct Action

+
# 4KingsRevenge Dec 7 2005, 23:09 PM
Cool find.

+
# 5triumph Dec 8 2005, 04:02 AM
SHEILDs have been useless or near it since like forever haven't they? I remember n00bs screaming about them owning though near the start but my feeling is that they never even understood how a BTR could come out with in the first 30 seconds or so of the game laugh.gif
Do edit it with the correct info.

Clan: EPIC

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 6DerPapierTiger Dec 8 2005, 04:54 AM
QUOTE(triumph @ Dec 8 2005, 04:02 AM) *

SHEILDs have been useless or near it since like forever haven't they? I remember n00bs screaming about them owning though near the start but my feeling is that they never even understood how a BTR could come out with in the first 30 seconds or so of the game laugh.gif
Do edit it with the correct info.

SHIELDs are alright, except for the fact that they're so weakly armored and they leave PoWs too freaking easily. Everytime you assault the enemy base, it's like giving them free gold.

I updated the info on that page. wink.gif

+
# 7STCAB Dec 8 2005, 08:26 AM
Yes, SHIELDs need more armor if they are to be useful. (considering buildtime, cost, position in game.)

By the way, would anyone like to help out in making a "real" wikipedia article on AOW? I mean it barely tells which sides are in the game.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 8GeneralGonzales Dec 8 2005, 09:13 AM
Don´t regard them as only massinfg unit!
Mixed with Spinners in Assault Rifle mode, its the deadliest army you can have. Spinners are for destroying Tanks and Buildings, while the Shields are to kill infantry (javs, snipers) and/or Helicopters. If no infantry and helis are in sight, their missiles are very useful toi kill enemy tanks. In addition no akulas will make it past you unseen ;-)

So a well mixed TFT troop in mid to late game consists of shields + spinners, I think 1/3 shields to 2/3 spinner would make a good group.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 9[CW]Sabotage Dec 8 2005, 15:24 PM
maybe nerf the stupid drone tank to make tft consider using the shield. the drone tank spam w/ aa, arty and armor upgrades switching instantly with a single unit is way overpowered.

of course the developers idea of balance in AoW is if there is no unstopable rush, the game is balanced

This post has been edited by [CW]Sabotage: Dec 8 2005, 15:25 PM

Game: CNC Generals

+
# 10sk1llz Dec 8 2005, 17:22 PM
?? im confused...

This post has been edited by sk1llz: Dec 8 2005, 17:24 PM

+
# 11DerPapierTiger Dec 8 2005, 20:15 PM
QUOTE(sk1llz @ Dec 8 2005, 05:22 PM) *

?? im confused...

You're making me confused on what you're confused on.

+
# 12KingsRevenge Dec 8 2005, 20:47 PM
Yea nefring the drone tanks some would help cause those things can handle about anything. THey need a longer mode switch maybe.

+
# 13STCAB Dec 8 2005, 21:43 PM
I allways use infantry against Spinners. Anyway, about that wikipedia article...

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 14DerPapierTiger Dec 9 2005, 10:40 AM
Since it's a wikipedia article, we can all edit it! smile.gif

You know, I should check out the german wiki and see if they got this article

+
# 15daarkside Dec 15 2005, 14:33 PM
i was kinda shocked abot the topic
"huh wh00t? a crying noob again?"
but it was tiger^^

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)