AsTheRuinsFall vs Doclear

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1EPIC Perfection Oct 11 2006, 00:47 AM
Review by Samus

Original Topic

AsTheRuinsFall (Alin) vs doclear (Alin)

Map: Vents
Game Time: 48:40

Game Overview: In easily the best Alin mirror I have yet to see, two of the top 5 players collide to slug it out. With a few back and forth skirmishes early on, it's clear both players are going for Evo4. In a rather clever strategy decision, doclear elects to get Evocation 4 before Treasure 4 and thus is the first to bring forth his massive army of free units. Doclear thunders in to AsTheRuinsFalls capital and all hope seems lost, but Evocation 4 comes through for AsTheRuinsFalls and he mounts one of the most spectacular comebacks I've seen, recovering his own capital just in time and then taking the fight back to doclear. Non-stop intense battle ensue, with several drastic swings in which a lesser player might have resigned. Both economies are crushed several times over, until finally doclear's Elder Glass Dragon combined with Fire Golems are too much for AsTheRuinsFalls.

AsTheRuinsFall (Alin)

Build Order: Magus-->Merch-->Merch-->Military

Pros:

+ Excellent micro. It was rare that I saw a unit of yours which wasn't doing the right thing.
+ Very nice comeback when Evo4 hit for you. In a matter of 2 minutes you went from a point which a lot of players would have resigned to firm control of the game.
+ Excellent use of Heartseekers. This one was a little more subtle, but with doclear using Damanhur as his hero you (mostly) kept a good supply of these guys in your army. I felt this made him afraid of head-on conflicts for a good portion of the game.

Cons:

- Didn't rebuild quickly after raids. I felt this is what ultimately cost you the game. You didn't repair cites as quickly as you could have (sometimes not at all and doclear just walked up and took them without a fight), and you had big problems refilling your mines and caravans. For a very long time later in the game, you only had 2 miners!
- Floated resources, sometimes a LOT of resources. Those units could have really made a difference, especially you should have had your own Glass Dragon upgraded to Elder to match up with his.

Player Summary: Overall you played great. I'm sure you were kicking yourself pretty much right away for not buying that middle city before doclear did. If you had, I think your spectacular comeback would not have been nearly as necessary. I also noticed that you had Tactical Dominance but didn't use it when doclear summoned his Fire Golem. It only lasts 60 seconds, a 15 or 20 second peace timer cuts a huge chunk out of its effectiveness. Combined with Glass Prison (which you did use on it once) and his entire power is practically nullified.

Player Score: 8.5/10

doclear (Alin)

Build Order: Magus-->Merch-->Merch-->Palace

Pros:

+ Excellent micro as well. You really got the most out of your units.
+ Evo4 first, then Treasure 4. This crafty switch up nearly won you the game in 15 minutes.
+ Fantastic raids with Fire Golem. I think this was what eventually made the difference at the end of the game.

Cons:

- No Military District in middle city. You didn't really fight that hard to keep it either, so it makes me wonder how much you valued it. That middle city on this map is one of the most strategically important cities on any of the maps (maybe the most), and I thought you could have done a better job protecting this significant advantage.
- Poor job getting upgrades at Glass Citadel. If you are paying 600 timonium and 1600 wealth for a Glass Dragon, it seem almost absurd not to invest at least the 75 timonium and 75 wealth for each of the first techs before it even spawns. You never even got the second tier of techs. This could have cost you the game before you upgraded to Elder, as his Glass Dragon was fully upgraded and smoked yours the first time they clashed.

Player Summary: Great game with nearly no mistakes. There were several points where it looked like you had this game in the bag, only to have AsTheRuinsFall claw his way back out of it. Moreover, there were many times where it looked like there was no way you could come back, and you showed there was a way.

Player Score: 9/10

Game Summary

Educational Value: 8/10 There are few things in advanced Alin play not contained within this game, and doclear gives an absolute clinic on raiding with Damanhur's Fire Golem.

Entertainment Value: 8/10 Intense battles with the game swaying several times, this game is two top players showing why they are top players.

Game Score: 8/10

Attached File(s)
Attached File ruinsvs.doclear.rec
Size: 580.34k
Number of downloads: 148
Player Name Side Team
AsTheRuinsFall 6
doclear 6

Clan: EPIC

Game: StarCraft 2

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)