Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

I do not get it

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1SoulessCorpse Feb 12 2008, 22:32 PM
I do not understand why relic decided to put community made maps on automatch if they do not intend to support said maps. The normal response from relic is "We'll try to do map fixes if they are problematic but keep in mind it was a community map, provided "as is".

Now what i do not get is if they decided to take these maps and use them to represent there product on an online basis as there own, why do they not treat them as such? It has been made clear that alot of the automatch maps (most notably the community maps) have issues that need to be fixed. Some simple fixes, others big ones. Now the way they talk about these maps it is as if "They are the way we got them, nothing we can do" yet they are the ones who put them into effect, so they are intern responsible for the communities response to them.

I might be one of the few people who think this, but map balance can be just as important if not more so then game balance. Throughout this entire successful Beta maps have not even been addressed once, which i think is a failure and a wasted opportunity to develop said maps to be better over all.

If it is true that they cannot alter the community maps for whatever reason, wouldn't it make sense to make maps of your own to add to the automatch that you have control over? Why force online players to play maps they believe are unbalance and slanted to either a starting location, or faction choice (or both).

Maybe it is just me, but i would think this would be something a company would take pride in.

Game: Blizzard

+
# 2Soda^ Feb 12 2008, 22:35 PM
Langres actually got a bigger base building area on the south side sometime ago.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3jodonnell Feb 12 2008, 22:36 PM
I've heard that the original makers of those map have actually submitted revised versions of their maps that fix the bugs (at least in the case of Wrecked Train,) but Relic was non-responsive.

This post has been edited by jodonnell: Feb 12 2008, 22:36 PM

+
# 4DeadKennyIsDead Feb 12 2008, 22:48 PM
hmm... why were they added... let me try to remember, oh wait! I know! Cause everyone asked that they be added!

Game: Command and Conquer 4

+
# 5AvD Feb 12 2008, 23:31 PM
They fixed the base area in Langres for example.

Clan: ArX

+
# 6Sepha Feb 12 2008, 23:51 PM
QUOTE(SoulessCorpse @ Feb 12 2008, 22:32 PM) *

Why force online players to play maps they believe are unbalance and slanted to either a starting location, or faction choice (or both).

Beats me. rolleyes.gif I've been knocking on this door for over a year and nobody's home.

Angoville/semois all the way until then.

Clan: Insane

+
# 7Melissia Feb 13 2008, 00:19 AM
QUOTE(DeadKennyIsDead @ Feb 12 2008, 16:48 PM) *

hmm... why were they added... let me try to remember, oh wait! I know! Cause everyone asked that they be added!

We have a winnar.

Because I'm fucking tired of Angoville.

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+
# 8Tanachi Feb 13 2008, 00:22 AM
did they fix that ST. map where the north has a mg advantage over the south since its two buildings near the middle vp dont point north

+
# 9SayNoToStim Feb 13 2008, 00:30 AM
We asked for new maps. We ended up with hinderdam, st mere, and wrecked train.

Maybe we should have specified that we wanted new maps that dont suck.

+
# 10Pounder Feb 13 2008, 00:30 AM
One thing I don't get is why aren't all 2v2s/3v3s/4v4s applicable as candidates for AT.

Where is my Drekplaats? sad.gif

+
# 11Melissia Feb 13 2008, 00:40 AM
QUOTE(SayNoToStim @ Feb 12 2008, 18:30 PM) *

We asked for new maps. We ended up with hinderdam, st mere, and wrecked train.

Maybe we should have specified that we wanted new maps that dont suck.

You're right, st mere does suck, but the other two aren't that bad (indeed, hindedam's fairly good if ya ask me tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by Melissia: Feb 13 2008, 00:41 AM

+
# 12SayNoToStim Feb 13 2008, 00:41 AM
Hinderdam is despised by a vast majority of the GR community and WT has a middle that only a mother could love.

+
# 13Melissia Feb 13 2008, 00:44 AM
Yes, and the vast majority of the GR community has yet to actually provide a reason for me to despise it when they discuss it, they only say they hate it tongue.gif I think it's an interesting and fun design, myself, which requires alot of interesting tactical choices to be made.

Meanwhile, I despise angoville because it's boring, overplayed, and has an uninteresting design... and yet eveyone else seems to like it for some godforsaken reason...

This post has been edited by Melissia: Feb 13 2008, 00:46 AM

+
# 14SayNoToStim Feb 13 2008, 00:54 AM
QUOTE(Melissia @ Feb 12 2008, 19:44 PM) *

Yes, and the vast majority of the GR community has yet to actually provide a reason for me to despise it when they discuss it, they only say they hate it tongue.gif I think it's an interesting and fun design, myself, which requires alot of interesting tactical choices to be made.

Meanwhile, I despise angoville because it's boring, overplayed, and has an uninteresting design... and yet eveyone else seems to like it for some godforsaken reason...

2 bridges, 4 vps. I rest my case. Two DESTROYABLE bridges I might add. Hour long campfests are not fun.

+
# 15Melissia Feb 13 2008, 00:58 AM
Then break their camp. It's very difficult to defend ALL of hinderdam, given how separated each of the four paths are.

Although yeah, I agree on the four VPs part, but it's hard to make it just have three and still be balanced for to and bottom.

Would be interesting if they had an indestructible bridge wide enough for vehicles at the center with a VP on it, making it one of the few maps with five VPs... or allowig them to remove one from top and one from bottom.

This post has been edited by Melissia: Feb 13 2008, 01:00 AM

+
# 16SayNoToStim Feb 13 2008, 01:06 AM
4 paths? you block off 2 and you can turtle until the end of time.

+
# 17FBX Feb 13 2008, 01:10 AM
Hinderdam is the one where the brits can drive for 30 seconds, take the +16 munitions on your side for a free OP, block off your route to the top, hit you with a mortar bunker, then attack your base with commandos whenever you aren't constantly defending it, right?

+
# 18General Grant Feb 13 2008, 01:54 AM
Set 3 posts invisible for being off-topic.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 19Black187 Feb 13 2008, 05:24 AM
Relic is a bunch of lazy hobos. RELIC GET OFF UR FAT LAZY ASSES and listen to the people that feed your children. Your company will never go anywhere. I can't wait until EA absorbes your worthless ass.

Sorry that was my daily rant. u0udiablo.gif

This post has been edited by Black187: Feb 13 2008, 05:24 AM

+
# 20Yojimbo252 Feb 13 2008, 11:45 AM
going from memory i think the new maps where incorporated around the time OF was/had just gone live. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

so i'm hoping the reason relic haven't been able to place much attention on map redesign and adjustments is they had higher priorities like the OF bugs, RO issues, ICS, balancing and most recently arranged team beta.

so my hope is that once beta goes live and any initial bugs are ironed out, this area will receive the focus it deserves.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)