Number of downloads: 44
Player Name Side Team
Nikli 1
BoD|Floom 2

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 3HULIO___ Sep 19 2008, 11:39 AM
Heres a guide i wrote hope it helps u guys

Things i recommend to do if u wanna get better with your game.

Lesson 1

1. Select your race
Try to get good with one race first master its tactics and skills don't try get good with all races first. Learn to use your races best assets.

2. Watch replays where good players play your race
Recommended sites down sanctuary, gamereplays.org and ESL

3. Learn build orders for maps and against different races

To get good with your race u must master build orders in different maps and against different races. Watch replays to do this. Learn from the pros.

4. Learn to micro
Learn to use things like q to stop your squad or f2 stance for your ranged fighters. Use melee attacks to tie up ranged squads etc. Read forums and watch replays to learn. Micro is learned only by practice.

5. Know your enemies
After you think u know your race try playing other races too so u know their trics and tactics. Like tau uses stealth suite to extend fire warrior vision.

6 Practise
Practice, practice, practice. Play auto to learn how counter different match ups and different kind of players. U get better only when u play. Remember that playing against good players gives u more experience than noob bashing. SAVE THOSE REPLAYS, wins and losses, watch them. and analyze your play and your opponents play, and see if you can figure out why you won and if you can do it again. Even if you win, you can still make huge mistakes, find out what you need to improve, you can always improve something. And forget your ego, forget the score, just grind and grind and grind. better play 1000 games and win 10 than play 20 games and win 10.

7 Little guide to get better
Read this little guide so u can advance on your game.
guide

Lesson 2

Stances

Very important thing to remember is to use stances. (f2) stance prevents your units from walking next to the enemy and start shooting then. Put your barracks in 'stand ground stance' (F2), which will make all the units building from it in stand ground stance. This gives you incredible control over ranged units while microing them. However, never put melee units in stand ground stance because they will stand wherever they are and shoot at enemy till the enemy runs into their melee range. So always put melee units in 'hold ground stance' (F1) and ranged units in 'stand ground stance'. If i put my ranged units to melee use i usually use f1 stance. Good stance for melee units is F5 attack stance so they pursuit fleeing enemies. I usually use stances when i want to tie ranged units in melee who are weak in melee like tau firewarriors. With comander units is very important to know when to use ranged stance and when to use melee. Comanders have awesome tie ability and good ranged attack use both.

Rally points

In the beginning when you start with your barracks, get the HQ to build the second second builder and put the HQ rally (right click on barracks) point on the barracks under construction. The builder will automatically come and assist the first one in the barracks construction. As soon as the two builders are out, set the rally point to the nearest strategic point. The builders who come out will automatically get to the strategic points and start capping it. As soon as the first builder is out, again set the rally point of the webway to the next strategic point. Explained with detail here.

Comand queue

In dow u can queue comands. For this u have to push shift and then issue comand. This is especially important when u are capping strategic points. When u are capping your first strategic point press the shift key and right click additional strategic points in order u like. The capping unit will automatically cap those points one after the other, while you can concentrate on other things. I use shift to to avoid pathing issues when i want that my troops use certain route to get to their destination or when im avoiding things like asm who are meleeing my ranged troops if i have to do something elsewhere.

Learn to use hotkeys
Basic hotkeys are:
a for attack
q for stop the (most important button of the game)
shift to queue comands
f for eldar fof or chaos forced labor etc...

but imo default hotkeys are from hell if u really want to speed up your game use customed keys.

I myself use grid hot keys explained here u can download it from here To use: Soulstorm folder -> Profiles -> dxp2 -> overwrite KEYDEFAULTS with extracted file make a copy of original in case something goes wrong. Another option is to customize your hotkeys yourself navigate to your Soulstorm-folder, then go to Profiles -> ProfileX (where X is a number) -> dxp2 and open the KEYDEFAULTS.LUA with a text editor such as notepad. Then switch the keys to ones of your liking.

Pay attention on your minimap

Minimap is very important tool. Always look your minimap for enemy movement when u see red spots click there right away to see what is going on. U can also give commands through your minimap.

Lesson 3

Micro tips

Basic micro moves are very important to know. With ranged squads avoid melee. This is done by moving them away when they are getting killed by ranged squads or tied up by melee units. When you are not chased anymore press q button to stop. This causes unit shoot immediately back. Using q is the most important thing to know. Also remember to put ranged squads on f2 stance. What u always wanna do is to preserve your troops so if they are under heavy fire take them out there. Remember to pay attention on your squads and see how many members are alive and withdraw if needed. This is very important when using things like guardsmen mass or tac mass. Usually good players focus fire so u lose squads one by one. Remember to focus on key units. When fighting things like commanders u get them shot out much faster when focusing on them. With melee units remember that they have tie up abilities so against ranged armies remember to use one melee squad per enemy ranged squad. Many melee squads have jump abilities and u better use it to take them safety if they are getting killed. Against melee armies ranged army is best to try to out squad melee army. Micro units away from melee squads and when u have opportunity to shoot press q. When u out squad your enemy focus fire on the weakest enemy squad so u free it from being chased. Against melee armies remember its good to use mines as a trap.

Lesson 4 How to prevent floating and get good economy

Basic rule is never ever float. There are many strategies in this game like no gen builds, gen builds etc. What u want to do in this game aim always for the best income possible. This means cap your points, steal enemy points and remember to try to get critical points. Usually what to do in no gen build don't make lp2 just aim to tier2 straight and while going there build lp2. On gen build make 2 lp2 and then tech later i lp2 all points. In tier1 first get your base army when u see u are going to float on reg build gens when u see you have much power go tier2 or make lp2 with points told earlier. At end of tier 1 u usually have at least 3 gens. In tier2 aim to get all gens built. When u see you are floating with power make reg global that blue flag on your lp. When u see u are floating with power make power global. Always aim to get all globals possible with exception if u get Slag Deposit u may skip power globals.

Basic tips when u see u are floating build gens or lp2. When u are floating heavily get global or get to next tier. If u already got gens and globals: floating with power get vehicles they cost much power and not so much reg, when floating with reg get infantry.

This post has been edited by HULIO___: Sep 19 2008, 12:05 PM

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 4HULIO___ Sep 19 2008, 11:40 AM
I collect here things u need to improve and did wrong

- Start building of your first unit immediately when aspect portal is finished
- queue generator with shift
- Your capping order was bad cap outer points first use shift to cap all points last relic and critical points
-when enemy is destroying your generator teleport builder to repair it or make one from your hq to repair
-Make exarch asap on your dark reaper squad it increases squads damage
- Build listening posts on your captured points as soon as u can u forgot to make lp on two points
- use your guardians to cap all strategic points available you forgot to cap some of your points
- Make wraithtomb upgrade to deal with enemy turrets ignore turret before that
- You need to pressure your opponent more your units out range your enemy try to shoot him all the time
- Abuse rangers more try to keep em shooting something
- Do not float
- Your micro needs work when shooting fof off never melee with cs
- You lost too much troops on turrets pick easier target if u see big turret defence ignore it until u have firedragons or falcons
-Try to focus fire on one target in fights try to take one target down at a time
- Tech much faster in order to do that make more gens

This post has been edited by HULIO___: Sep 19 2008, 15:48 PM

+
# 5Floom Sep 20 2008, 01:45 AM
ok, thanks

also, a noob question, what do you mean by floating?

This post has been edited by Floom: Sep 20 2008, 01:46 AM

+
# 6HULIO___ Sep 20 2008, 07:30 AM
Floating means that u have too much resources and havent spent them. In my oppinion u are floating when u have 300+ reg or power.

+
# 7Syphonz Sep 20 2008, 17:25 PM
this is very unfortunate for me because i was so excited to be apart of this.
My video card botted out just last weekend, and it'll be awhile before i can muster up the money to afford another with college starting and all. Best of luck Floom!

Game: Dark Crusade

+
# 8HULIO___ Sep 20 2008, 18:53 PM
Sry to hear maybe i can take another mentee now then?

+
# 9DanaEileithyia Sep 22 2008, 07:14 AM
Topic cleaned.

The reason why you shouldn't post in someone's else topic even if you can help is because GameReplays guarantees with this mentor project that the mentees and mentors have a topic on their own in which noone will bother them!

People who don't participate in the mentor project can't even post in this forum (you need a special mask for it)!

Read this welcoming topic

mailboy80 agreed to be mentored by you so he's the second mentee now smile.gif.

+
# 10HULIO___ Sep 22 2008, 11:31 AM
Ok but i wouldnt bother feedback about tips i give. Mailboy post a 1vs1 replay and we can get started.

+
# 11mailboy80 Sep 24 2008, 16:16 PM
hey hulio its me , we played a game or two before but you probably dont remember me. im a nec player. if you can provide me with some general tips on how to get better and il have a 1v1 ready for you soon cause unfortunatly im in class right now!!!!!

+
# 12HULIO___ Sep 26 2008, 17:56 PM
add me on your xfire hulio123 and post a rep here so we can get started

+
# 13mailboy80 Sep 26 2008, 18:37 PM
i dont really have any recent 1v1 i have this replay was the most recent one iv saved

+
# 14mailboy80 Sep 26 2008, 18:39 PM
i dont really have any recent 1v1 i have this replay was the most recent one iv saved

Attached File(s)
Attached File 4P_SKERRIES.2008_08_29.14_25_55.rec
Size: 316.49k
Number of downloads: 34
Player Name Side Team
Space_Gatsu 1
CratZ 1
N1ghtcrawl3r 2
[Ring]_Green 2

+
# 15mailboy80 Sep 27 2008, 04:41 AM
got a 1v1 for ya hot off the presses i knw my micro wasnt to good if at all my 3rd game as SOB i like them as my 2nd race.

tell me what i can do to improve as them and in general

ps can u please also review my other game

This post has been edited by mailboy80: Sep 27 2008, 04:42 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File 2P_TRANQUILITYS_END.2008_09_27.00_28_57.rec
Size: 453.87k
Number of downloads: 34
Player Name Side Team
yamiharris 1

+
# 16HULIO___ Sep 27 2008, 09:25 AM
Comments of your sob replay make 2 builders concentrate more on getting your economy good as soon as possible. You were too passive too much sitting. Always try to attack from somewhere unless u are fast teching. cap critical points too. Dunno if u have readed my guide i posted up but u need to start using q to stop your troops so when they are not chased u can shoot as soon as u can. Get nades for your sister squads and use them. You need to get your micro better. Dont float u floated very heavily get generators globals or tech if u see u are floating. Very bad mistake was not to buld lp on your relic and on one strategic point.

Yout game as nec was a lot better but post a 1vs1 game to get a review

This post has been edited by HULIO___: Sep 27 2008, 09:37 AM

+
# 17Floom Sep 29 2008, 01:17 AM
hello again biggrin.gif i got another replay. it was fairly annoying as its the first game i've played against a brillient spce marine harass. at least with eldar.

i feel like i should of put the pressure back on him early but i didn't think i had enough men because of his eco harass and by the time i did he had to many points and too much eco for me to do anything with it.

ah well. as well as your usual good info on what i need to improve on, do you have any good tips or even good builds for this kind of harass?

Attached File(s)
Attached File 2P_BLOOD_RIVER.2008_09_29.11_07_17.rec
Size: 228.68k
Number of downloads: 33
Player Name Side Team
CookieMonster111 1
BoD|Floom 2

+
# 18HULIO___ Sep 30 2008, 17:44 PM
Alright lets see

-remember to get rangers coming from rax as soon as it is built
-queue your first generator built after rax with shift
-remember to queue your guardians to capture points with shift straight away so u don't have to care about them and u can concentrate on using your attack units
-Don't forget to capture your points after u have driven your opponent away from your base
-When u move always fof on cappers too
-if u feel u cant out micro asm make turret and mines
-Repair your gen when it is attacked
-u floated
-u need to tech faster
-make more gens

Your biggest fault was your micro and that u didnt try to capture your points fast enough try to get relic and capture critical points too if u manage to keep your guardians alive

+
# 19HULIO___ Sep 30 2008, 17:58 PM
Heres a fine selection eldar replays i found from my hard drive. Games are played by me and other good eldar players. I guarantee u get your game better watching these reps. Things i recommend to watch are how eldar get good economy, how to counter harass, what build orders to use against certain races, how to micro your eldar troops, what cap orders to use in certain maps.

This post has been edited by HULIO___: Oct 1 2008, 05:42 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File eldarreplays.rar
Size: 15.45mb
Number of downloads: 75

+
# 20Floom Sep 30 2008, 22:12 PM
thanks for the replays and the comments.

i'm not very good at the timeing of teching, and i completely forgot about the shift que for capping points, that would of saved me some time.

as for the gen, i usualy shift build it, but i was distracted by doing something else, but its all good, i can kill two birds with the one stone.

i suppose my question is, when to tech in a game and how many gens?

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)