+
# 3Marra Mar 24 2006, 20:30 PM
QUOTE(.Necron @ Mar 24 2006, 09:02 PM) *

I'll review. smile.gif

I'll fill in the rep info as well.

Thx i need a guide to fill info rep lol

+
# 4.Necron Mar 24 2006, 21:10 PM
No no no, this is just unfair, I'm watching one of the best games I've seen in months and it goes out of sync even though it's 1.05. WTF.gif
I'm going to try again and see what happens....

Retried it and it worked, review will be coming a little later on. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by .Necron: Mar 24 2006, 21:38 PM

Game: Age of Empires 3

+
# 5BlacK FooT Mar 25 2006, 03:00 AM
Finally someone has a game vs andrew! That's my best mate on aoe 3 and i seriously think he should be 2k+, hes amazing at this game. Ill watch it for sure, + its the only game w/out spain wacko.gif

+
# 6.Necron Mar 25 2006, 06:39 AM
Review will come in a minute, sorry for the wait, my ISP had an outage. wacko.gif

This post has been edited by .Necron: Mar 25 2006, 06:50 AM

+
# 7.Necron Mar 25 2006, 06:40 AM
Marra vs. Andrew

IPB Image
blue vs. red
IPB Image vs. IPB Image

Marra
IPB Image
This was just a fantastically played game by you, you had a very good Portuguese fish boom strategy, getting the 40% for HP for buildings card as well as Schooners worked perfectly and in the end, both of these cards really did keep you going long enough to build your army and base back up after the rush and eventually take the win. You had good scouting and you saw Andrew building his Artillery Foundry early on to notice the rush coming, you dealt with the rush in such an amazing way as well, you got some walls up to slow him down and you knew to get Hussars to kill his onslaught of Grenadiers. The most impressive thing I saw you do was using your Settlers to attack his Grenadiers and Pikemen while they were taking down your Town Centers and Outpost, garrisonning them back in when they changed to attacking you. You really should have gotten the dirt cheap Settler upgrades from the Market though as they would have given you a great boost. Your micro was generally very good, your army consisted of mainly Crossbowmen and Hussars ( As well as a little bit of Musketeers ) and you knew what units to attack with what units of yours. At times though, you sent your Hussars to the wrong group of Grenadiers and so they were blocked by the army of Pikemen that Andrew had very cleverly made to stop your Hussars. You had the right balance in your economy all through as well, balancing whether to save for a Town Center and to get army to defend yourself was very hard but you did it perfectly which was just great to see. In the end you just out performed Andrew and you really didn't do much wrong at all, you managed to defend your fishing fleet when they were under attack, you barely had any idle Settlers ( And the times you did were when you were fighting land and sea micro intensive battles and going back to task idle Settlers on something would have lost you alot of units. ) and you made some great decisions and played some excellent cards that are not only very underused but gave you a huge advantage. You played incredibly well and quite uniquely, it's great to see some pro Portuguese play.

Andrew
IPB Image
You also played very decently with a top notch Grenadier rush strategy. You had a really good, very unique, Dutch build order, sending your crate gathering Settlers to gold rather than some of your initial starting Settlers, a Colonial Age time of just over 4 minutes is really great, especially with 15 Settlers and using the Dutch. You could have herded a little better though since you kept sending your Deer further and further away to create a much larger Settler walking time, you also had almost 400 wood before you started building your Artillery Foundry which cost you some very precious seconds that could have provided the extra edge over your opponent. Once you were attacking you got countered very well and had some very tough competition to go up against so so early on, you had to inflict 40% more damage to every building you destroyed which, in my eyes, was the reason you're great rush failed, he had time to keep gathering resources and build up his economy to get the right defences to last as long as he could. Surprisingly, you destroyed both of his Town Centers but had heavy casulties which meant you had to wait a little while you rebuilt your army however you just constantly kept up the pressure and I really thought you'd won the game at that point, but you really were facing a more formiddable enemy than I had originally thought and your Grenadiers got sent to their death when so many Hussars were coming, you then ( Showing how underrated your cuetech rating is right now ) started producing the right counter units almost immediately ( In this case; Pikemen ) as well as constantly getting Grenadiers still to counter all the Crossbowmen and Musketeers he threw at you, you really did show your true skill in these battle sequences with some very high quality micro shown. It took you a while before you started to build Banks and you could have built them a little earlier on, you also had more idle Settlers than Marra here and there, but it was generally very well played, and it definately looked to me like you were playing as a 2100+ player.

Summary
Just an amazing game, two fairly underused and quite unique strategies by two underused and underdog civilizations go head to head in an incredible game that absolutely everyone should watch. This is by far an elite game, and is a legendary contender, reccomended watch to everyone although the ending came quite soon and I was fairly dissapointed.

Screenshots
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

This post has been edited by .Necron: Mar 25 2006, 08:15 AM

+
# 81fantabulousman Mar 25 2006, 07:12 AM
im gonna watch this now ^^

edit - watched it and it was a damn fine game though i dont think it was legendary even if the only reason is the ending

This post has been edited by 1fantabulousman: Mar 25 2006, 07:38 AM

+
# 9.Necron Mar 25 2006, 07:19 AM
It's good. happy.gif

QUOTE(1fantabulousman @ Mar 25 2006, 07:12 PM) *

edit - watched it and it was a damn fine game though i dont think it was legendary even if the only reason is the ending

Yeah, the ending was very dissapointing, I forgot to add that into the review, I really wish it had gone on a little longer...

Still, staff will vote for Legendary or not so we'll see in the next few days.

+
# 10Marra Mar 25 2006, 10:44 AM
Y, probably Andrew resign a little earlier, i think when i resign the game was ended but he need to try ... probably when he see my comeback decide that the game was finished.
Btw i suppose that my 40% card is enough to defend and reach fortress, but he did a very anti building combo with some much and non sto flood of unit.

+
# 11camerlano Mar 25 2006, 11:19 AM
that's a pd reply, outstanding. it has to be legendary, never seen such a good game with "unusual" civs

+
# 12firgli Mar 25 2006, 14:48 PM
Very nice replay indeed smile.gif. I think this is how each game should be played, colonial fights untill the 20-30 mins mark (unless you're dead by then tongue.gif) and age up to fortress. Good use of the sea and good idea making hussars (not like you had another choice when he was spamming all those grenadiers tongue.gif). Some idle TC time gave you a pretty poor economy early on though. Good dutch strat as well, it has great potential to rush with naders/pikes especially since they wont expect it. I tried it a few times but always manage to get housed for some reason sad.gif

GG

Game: The Asian Dynasties

+
# 13^Glorious^ Mar 25 2006, 18:04 PM
QUOTE(Evry1 @ Mar 25 2006, 02:48 PM) *

Very nice replay indeed smile.gif. I think this is how each game should be played, colonial fights untill the 20-30 mins mark (unless you're dead by then tongue.gif) and age up to fortress. Good use of the sea and good idea making hussars (not like you had another choice when he was spamming all those grenadiers tongue.gif). Some idle TC time gave you a pretty poor economy early on though. Good dutch strat as well, it has great potential to rush with naders/pikes especially since they wont expect it. I tried it a few times but always manage to get housed for some reason sad.gif

GG

Remember ours? tongue.gif

+
# 14khilarii Mar 25 2006, 20:41 PM
Very good game. The losing player did resign a little earlier than necessary though. However, even if he had held out longer, it was only a matter of time before the ports would build monitors, and that would end it since probably the entire dutch city would have been in range. The dutch couldn't have countered them since ports had control of the sea.

It was interesting to see a dutch rush--ive never really seen that civ be successful with an all-out rush.

+
# 15firgli Mar 25 2006, 20:47 PM
QUOTE(^Glorious^ @ Mar 25 2006, 07:04 PM) *

Remember ours? tongue.gif

Yea sad.gif. Lol that was stupid, got housed, I always have wood problems tongue.gif

Game: The Asian Dynasties

+
# 16BlacK FooT Mar 26 2006, 00:43 AM
Yeah I talked to andrew about this game. He told me he just got outmicroed mostly, and he was mad after the game cuz he thought he had it, and its always nice to beat 2k+s. lol. And i completely agree, i think he should be 2k+

+
# 17.Necron Mar 26 2006, 02:31 AM
Tell him to register here. tongue.gif

+
# 18Shysterr Mar 26 2006, 07:32 AM
Awesome game thumb.gif Some things I noticed tho was that andrew could have gone fortress waaaaaaaaaaay sooner and it would have been gg, also walling in maras explorer would have done wonders. Mara you had sub par economy balance at one point yet made it work somehow, over 2k gold midway thru and continued to mine for some reason even tho there was a herd right next to your third TC. Having all that spare gold and 4? cards should have motivated you to try and go fortress sooner instead of wasting it in the market. I wish I could see what your market exchange looked like at the end of the game tongue.gif Anyways you both play better than me and your unit micro was outstanding(minus at the end when andrew completly gave up and let mara slaughter his ryuts with ronin/pikes instead of microin them down). I would not vote for this game to be legendary by no means, but should be rotw for sure. With all that being said this was one of the most fun games iv watched in a long time and I hope to see more recs from both of you.

+
# 19KilleR_StorM_ Mar 26 2006, 09:52 AM
mamma...I watched ALL teh game with ur visual block...ur sick...really gj nice game =O

+
# 201fantabulousman Mar 26 2006, 11:17 AM
no way this game is 10 when the moony legendary is only 9 and the starsky v. grunt is only 9

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)