Original Thread.
Official review by Necron.

Gl0rious vs. astroboy

IPB Image
blue vs. red
IPB Image vs. IPB Image

Gl0rious
IPB Image
You had a good start, getting 3 War Dogs quickly but the Explorer card seemed a little wasted since you didn't get the most improtant treausre on Bayou; 240 wood although you had your Explorer very close to the treasure, you looked just a little too late and so you didn't get the chance to steal the treasure which would have been a very nice bonus. And now of course, your strategy, it was incredibly unique and worked effectively to some extent, the Priests definately put some major pressure on Astro but it could have been better, getting a blockhouse earlier and producing some proper military units could have helped alot, the thing with this strategy is that you have to be incredibly good at micromanagement and constantly selecting one Priest and healing, you did this quite well for alot of the time but you started to stop it late game which is very understandable considering the intensity of the whole thing. Once he got to the Fortress Age, you knew when to retreat and when to attack as well as managing your economy and getting to Age 3 yourself at a good time in the game. Your general play did drop later on in the game but you still played very well and the Halberdiers worked wonders, your constant pumping of Strelets also greatly helped in the last 10 minutes or so of the game. It was amazing to see those Oprikniks in action, they completely devastate buildings and 7 of them took down a Factory incredibly quickly, which was giving him a huge advantage and destroying it really put him back and I think the outcome of the game may have been very different if it hadn't been taken down. A highly unique strategy with some good play meant you're one of the most interesting and enjoyable players to watch in games as well as general Aoe3 ladders and things, well done.

astroboy
IPB Image
Taking full advantage of Spanish War Dogs, you got some great treasures early on including 240 and 90 wood but you really should have taken more advantage of this large bonus ( 330 resources is an incredible bonus in a game under 5 minutes in ) by building a Market and getting some upgrades like Hunting Dogs, there were a couple of small gold treasures around that could have been used to collect the needed amount of resources as well as you having a Market very early on which isn't the most common thing to see in standard Spanish fast fortress strategies. When you were advancing to the Colonial Age, you sent half of your food gatherers to berry bushes even though there were still alot of huntables around your base, later on though you seemed to switch back to just hunts which was good to see. You also had quite a slow Colonial time of 5:30 even though you'd scouted Glorious's two forward settlers and knew he was going to rush, you did try and adapt by sending 7 Rodelero's to prevent a rush but it would have been far far better if you'd had Colonial Militia in your deck; You could send 700 gold the moment you hit Age 2 still, and you could kill and stop his Priest rush easily and much greater than Rodelero's could. It was good to see you getting some Swiss Pikes as your first Fortress shipment which pushed him back into defense ( Although you badly let him expand again throughout the game by not alot of raiding which could have cost you the game in the end ). You also had some poor micro in some battles during the game, losing alot of Falconets ( Especially the crucial shipment of 2 early into the game ) to Priests which should have been taken down as one of the main priorities. You were very aggressive for most of the game but taking more map control and raiding more really would have helped which is what lost you the game in the end, getting to the Fortress Age quicker would have also helped immensely.

Summary
An incredibly unique game that I've never seen anything like before, a Priest rush is just insane but seemed to work fairly well. It also doesn't just show this interesting strategy but is also a great action packed game in itself, everyone should watch this highly enjoyable game. A ROTW contender as well as an elite game.

Screenshots
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File _Bayou__astroboy_vs_Gl0rious.age3rec
Size: 504.11k
Number of downloads: 436
Player Name Side Team
Gl0rious 1
astroboy 2

Game: Age of Empires 3

+
# 2firgli Apr 16 2006, 09:04 AM
congrats monkspammer!
medaled =]

Game: The Asian Dynasties

+
# 3Isaac the Bold Apr 16 2006, 13:48 PM
Congrats and also good thing it's patch 1.05 (4/12) because I haven't downloaded 1.06 yet. tongue.gif

+
# 4Keato Apr 16 2006, 16:33 PM
hollyyyyyyyyyyy shit, that is the funniest replay i have ever seen. OMG i was literally in stitches. ohhh god, cant wait too see more of that lol. w00t.gif

This post has been edited by darkalbino: Apr 16 2006, 16:33 PM

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 5.Necron Apr 16 2006, 19:32 PM
It still works in patch 06 if anyones wondering. smile.gif

+
# 6Screspo77 Apr 20 2006, 17:44 PM
Any1 getting to work on a priest rush strategy yet? drol.gif lol

FF has met it's match smilie_naughty.gif

+
# 7Suvorov Apr 20 2006, 21:09 PM
lol an impressive record indeed

+
# 8StR_Sinister Apr 20 2006, 21:32 PM
Well... u got 2 options, u can rlly rush early and keep his vills from working (killing them wont work tongue.gif) and go fortress in a slight defensive position and just kill the enemy then. Second option is just going fortress immediatly and build priest after to heal oprichniks, halberdiers, and especially ur cannons.
If i got time, i will work on this strat, tips are always welcome.

+
# 9Sepha Apr 22 2006, 17:30 PM
Funniest and most enjoyable game i've seen in a while.

Clan: Insane

Game: Company of Heroes

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)