Explore GameReplays...

Kanes Wrath

For all your worldbuilding needs

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Zypherbullet Oct 10 2014, 10:56 AM
Attached Image

Hello everyone!

This forum has not seen much activity lately, so it's time to spice things up. If anyone is willing to learn mapmaking, I'll be happy to help out! I have made many (personal) maps and I've become quite familiar with the script system (and everything it involves, like players setups, teams and object settings). You can ask questions here (or if you're embarrased, which you shouldn't be, send me a pm) and I'll answer as soon as humanly possible.

When asking a question about scripts, please state if you are a [Beginner] or an [Advanced] user. For [Beginner] I will state where conditions and actions can be found. If you are [Advanced], then I will simply state the script, presuming that the mapper knows where to find the conditions and actions.

I will be updating this thread regularly with useful tips that make your life a lot easier!

List of tips:
  1. Got a lot of worldbuilder crashes due to a shortage of memory?
  2. Does the rotation setting mess with your mind sometimes?
  3. I want players to start with the structures I gave them. What's that MCV doing there?!
  4. I placed a waypoint under a structure, but whenever I try to select it, worldbuilder selects the structure!
  5. That setup of structures looks so nice...
  6. Time for some teambuilding
  7. Adding semi-custom ambient sounds
  8. Glossy Glass Galore
  9. Breaking Bridges
Have fun!

For a complete guide on Tournament Maps, click on this link.
For a lot of fantastic tips, shared by the real Master of Tournaments, click on this link.

Zypherbullet

Player reviews:

AggressivePanda: Such Brilliance!!!
Phantom9399: i have been trying to work out the team builder for years, thank you for explaining it in a way i can understand biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Zypherbullet: Dec 22 2014, 21:12 PM

Clan: FeaR

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 2Zypherbullet Oct 18 2014, 14:22 PM
Got a lot of worldbuilder crashes due to a shortage of memory?

This is expected, since it only uses 2gb of memory. Luckily, most computers today have (much) more than that. I use a tool called Large Adress Aware to enable the use of all of my computer's memory. I can now make maps 750x750 with the LOD (Level Of Display) set to ultra high! Use the tool at your own risk, a simple google search will lead you to the site. *

This post has been edited by Zypherbullet: Nov 19 2014, 13:18 PM

+
# 3Zypherbullet Oct 19 2014, 13:38 PM
Does the rotation setting mess with your mind sometimes?

It appears it does! One time it rotates every object in place, while another time it rotates every object around a central point! The reason it does this is due to the Group Edit Method [Edit->Group Edit Method] setting:
Attached Image

It can also be found here Attached Image. The blue Z means it rotates around the z-axis and the other letter indicates which method is used.

There are three ways to rotate an object. You can use the mouse tool and rotate it freely, you can use the slider in Object Properties or you can enter a number.

I is for independent -> The objects will all take on the same rotation angle and rotate in place. If you choose to rotate through Object Properties, you can use the slider or enter a number yourself. The object will be rotated in the direction you entered.

L is for match lead -> All objects will follow the angle of the object that is being rotated. It does the same as previous method.

G is for as group -> The worldbuilder will create an imaginary point in the center of all the objects and rotate around this while the objects preserve the angle relative to eachother. This also applies for the slider. Entering a number yourself results in a calculation, rather than replacing the angle. Say we place a GDIWarFactory without rotating it. Its standard placement angle is -45 degrees. If you want it to be rotated at 0 degrees, you will have to do a (simple) math operation. In this case add 45 degrees. All you need to do is type 45 or remove the '-' sign and worldbuilder will add them. If we wanted the warfactory to be at -135 degrees, you should type '-90'. This option is especially useful for walls that have corners.

The worldbuilder rotates objects in this fashion: *
Attached Image

Need to rotate a road?

You can rotate a set of roads too, but this requires a little trick. Select your bunch of roads and include an object in your selection. If you rotate the object, the roads will rotate along! NEAT!

This post has been edited by Zypherbullet: Nov 19 2014, 13:18 PM

+
# 4Zypherbullet Oct 21 2014, 18:00 PM
I want players to start with the structures I gave them. What's that MCV doing there?!

Multiplayer maps often have players start with an MCV. You can circumvent this by selecting the waypoint that spawns the player, like Player_1_Start. Then under [Options:] you should change it from [normal] to [beacon]. This way, players start without an MCV. Make sure that the player starts with at least one structure or he will lose instantly. *

You can set alternate victory conditions

If you persist on having no structures at all, say when making a map that spawns an equal amount of units on each team to test micro-skills, then you can use a script to disable the 'lose upon no structures' condition. Go to [Scripts], choose [New script], set the condition to [True] and the action to [User_]->Set ignore skirmish victory conditions.[673] NEAT!

This post has been edited by Zypherbullet: Nov 19 2014, 13:19 PM

+
# 5Zypherbullet Oct 23 2014, 12:10 PM
I placed a waypoint under a structure, but whenever I try to select it, worldbuilder selects the structure!

Ah yes, it does that with roads too! A simple way to select the underlying icon, is to move the structure away, select the waypoint and hit [Ctrl+Z]. The structure will be back in place and the waypoint will be selected.

If you need to select underlying icons consistently, there is a much better way to do so. Go to [Edit]->[Pick Allowances]->[Nothing]. Then again under [Pick Allowances] choose [Waypoints & Areas]. You can now only select waypoints and areas. If you memorize the hotkeys, this option will be your next best friend! *

If you detest above options...

If you don't wish to fiddle around with the [Pick Allowances] or if you wish to pick an icon of the same type as the overlaying icon (two structures on top of eachother), then you can copy the entire [XY Pos] parameter and paste it in the name (or if you already named it, after the name)Attached Image.
After moving everything around, you can paste the coordinates back where they belong and everything will be NEAT!

+
# 6AggressivePanda Oct 27 2014, 00:11 AM
Such Brilliance!!!

+
# 7Zypherbullet Oct 30 2014, 18:08 PM
That setup of structures looks so nice...

And you can copy it easily by using [CTRL+C] and [CTRL+V]. All you need to do is open 2 worldbuilders. In the first you open your map and in the second you open the map that you wish to copy elements from. Just select whatever you wish to copy and... well... copy. Use [CTRL+C] or under [Edit] choose [Copy]. Back in your own map, hit [CTRL+V] or go to [Edit] -> [Paste]. *

Nobody likes a thief!

When you copy someone's objects, you should adjust some settings like the space between them or their rotation. You can also ask the person if it's okay to copy some elements and then credit them in the map. This way, nobody will not (double negative) find you NEAT!

+
# 8Zypherbullet Nov 18 2014, 00:52 AM
Time for some teambuilding

If you have tried making a mission map, you probably have used the [Edit Teams] to set up teams. You can have an AI create a team through a production structure. To get this to work, you need to set up some things first.

First and foremost, make sure the AI can actually build the units. Provide the AI with the proper technology, the correct production structure and of course lots of credits. Make sure the production structure is of the same faction as the units to be trained.

Before we hop into [Edit Teams], let's first set up some subroutines. Go to [Edit Scripts] and click on the folder of the AI. Create a new folder and name is something like "Team Subroutines". This is optional, but will greatly help things to be organized. Now click on [New Script...]. Name the script something like "Build Subroutine". Under [Script Flags], tick [Script is Subroutine] and untick [Deactivate upon succes] if you wish for the AI to make more instances of the team.
Now under script conditions, enter a condition for when your team will be built. This can be [True], but an easy, yet advanced way is the use of flags.

If at some point during your mission you want the AI to create a team, then create a script that sets a flag to true. For example:

The player has just completed objective one and now the enemy must build the team. Upon completion of the objective, add the line that enables this flag. [Scripting] -> [Flags] -> [Set flag to value]. Then [Set "your own flagname" to TRUE]. Now under your "Build Subroutine", under [Script Conditions] go to [Scripting] -> [Flag compared to value] and then ["your own flagname" IS TRUE].

This means that if the flag is true, then the AI will start building the team. The advantage of using flags is that you can set a flag to FALSE to disable the team production.

Leave the [Actions If True] at [Null operation].

Now that we have a "Build Subroutine", let's make an "Action Subroutine". Ensure that this is also a subroutine that doesn't deactivate. The build subroutine will tell the team what to do once it is created. Set the [Script Conditions] to True. Useful actions are:

[Team -- Action] -> [Attack or Hunt] -> [Hunt] [<This Team> begins hunting]

and

[Team -- Other] -> [AI] -> [Transfer control of Team to or from Skismish AI]. For the last one, you need to have set an AI personality in the [Player List].

Attached Image

Now that our scripts are set up, let's jump into [Edit Teams]. Under your Skirmish AI, select [Add New Team]. Give it a name and specify how many instances of this team may be built at one time. The [Home Position] is where a completed team will go to and is defined by a waypoint.

Now under [Production] select the drop-down list and choose "Build Subroutine". Go and add some units to your team. This can be a combination of infantry, vehicles and aircraft. Tinker around with the remaining settings.

Now switch the tab to [Behavior]. Under [On Create] select the "Action Subroutine". Likewise, you can add actions for [On Enemy Sighted] and [On All Clear]. For example, if moving an engineer and it encounters an enemy, you can have it return to your base and pick up the previous actions when all is clear.

[On Destroyed] %.. is useful for retreating or even using abilities (like when an army of Steel Talons Mammoth Tanks has lost 50% of its forces. You can choose to activate adaptive armour.)

Attached Image

Now when you play a game and the AI is able to build the team, it will. *

I want my team to act in a certain order

This is possible. Set up a number of actions for the team (like moving somewhere, guarding for a few seconds and then moving back) and under [Script Properties] go to [Sequential Scripts:]. Tick [Actions fire sequentially on [Team] named [<This Team>]. You can also tell it to loop actions. You are now in full control of your teams. NEAT!

This post has been edited by Zypherbullet: Nov 19 2014, 13:20 PM

+
# 9phantom9399 Nov 18 2014, 23:53 PM
i have been trying to work out the team builder for years, thank you for explaining it in a way i can understand biggrin.gif

+
# 10Zypherbullet Nov 19 2014, 00:05 AM
QUOTE(phantom9399 @ Nov 19 2014, 00:53 AM) *

i have been trying to work out the team builder for years, thank you for explaining it in a way i can understand biggrin.gif

There are many more uses for the team builder, like tiberium wall hubs, reinforcement spawns, changes in difficulty settings, background combat and cinematics smile.gif

+
# 11Zypherbullet Nov 19 2014, 13:09 PM
Adding semi-custom ambient sounds

Mappers who want to breathe life into their maps always use sound flags. These are found under [Object Placement] by navigating to [ByNativeType] -> [Neutral] -> [AUDIO]. Now there are many sounds that you can add to your map, but you can expand this amount greatly.

Place [AGenericSound] and under [Object Properties] switch to the [Sound] tab. The [Attached Sound:] will be "Default <None>".

When you click on it, a large list pops up with all available sounds. You can now select a sound that you wish to play as ambient sound.

Useful sounds are looping sounds, like NOD_DisruptionTower_OnLoop or weapon fires like NOD_TiberiumTrooper_GoopWeaponLoop. Of course there are many, MANY more options!

Now tick [Customize] and enable [Looping]. This will also enable [Enabled]. (haha)

When selecting a priority, remember that ambient sounds should not have a priority higher than [Normal], unless you want it to be heard on top of everything (including audio events).

Volume should not be too high (around 70 is okay).

The [Min Volume] determines the ambient volume when the screen is out of range of the flag. This means that the sound will always be heard. Ambient sounds usually have a [Min Volume] of 0. Weather effects like rain should have a higher [Min Volume], since rain is everywhere.

[Min Range:] and [Max Range:] determine the area of sound. When the screen falls outside the outer area, no sounds will be heard. The sound gets louder when nearing the inner sound circle and is at maximum volume inside the [Min Range:] circle. This area can be made visible by going to [View] -> [Influences] -> [Show Sound Circles]. *

Attached Image

How about ambient sounds that may disappear?

When using sounds like an alarm, it would make sense that the sound fades when the entire base is gone or when the perimiter is safe once again. To do this, you will need to disable/enable it through a script. Create a new script and define its conditions (like if a structures is destroyed or if units are inside a certain area). Then under [Actions If True] -> [New] navigate to [Audio] -> [Sound Effect] -> [Disable object's ambient sound] or [Enable object's ambient sound]. In this case the "object's ambient sound" refers to the name that was given to the sound flag. From now on, your map will sound NEAT!

This post has been edited by Zypherbullet: Nov 19 2014, 13:20 PM

+
# 12Stayer231 Nov 22 2014, 10:24 AM
I got a question: what are the camera settings? Pitch angle and height etc. I know i saw it somewhere in the C&C 4 worldbuilder, but cant find it again.

+
# 13Zypherbullet Nov 22 2014, 10:44 AM
QUOTE(Stayer231 @ Nov 22 2014, 11:24 AM) *

I got a question: what are the camera settings? Pitch angle and height etc. I know i saw it somewhere in the C&C 4 worldbuilder, but cant find it again.

Usually the [Min Height] is 170 tot 200 and the [Max height] is 420 to 450 for tournament maps. The Pitch Angle is 37.5° and the Yaw Angle is 0°. These settings can be changed under [Edit] -> [Edit Maps Settings...].

If you're not making a tournament map, then you can be more flexible with the settings.

+
# 14Stayer231 Nov 22 2014, 10:48 AM
I mean what are the normal for normal map, like rift or so. Being the same as all other maps that are played atm.

+
# 15Zypherbullet Nov 22 2014, 11:26 AM
QUOTE(Stayer231 @ Nov 22 2014, 11:48 AM) *

I mean what are the normal for normal map, like rift or so. Being the same as all other maps that are played atm.

Tournament Rift 1.02+ has [Min Height] 170, [Max Height] 400, [Pitch Angle] 37.5° and [Yaw Angle] 0°. Larger maps may have slightly higher Max Heights.

+
# 16Zypherbullet Nov 26 2014, 00:02 AM
Glossy Glass Galore

You may have played on a few maps that had glass surfaces. Not only did they look nice, one could also walk on them (just mind your skirts)! Let's see how we make such a tough glass.

First of all, you will need two 'special' targa files, called FXBlueZoneRefDiff and its normal map. Grab them here if you don't have them yet:
Attached File FXBlueZoneRefDiff.zip
Size: 328bytes
Number of downloads: 136
Player Name Side Team

Just unzip and store it somewhere you can navigate to easily.

Now for the big secret! Glass surfaces are really rivers! Mind = Blown

Just as with normal rivers, there are passability limitations. Keep in mind that ground units will not be able to pass surfaces with glass (river) areas that are higher than 5 feet above them.

On to the real magic! Grab your [Single Tile] or [Large Tile] tool and under [Terrain Painting Mode] select [Visibility] and then [Not Visible]. Paint out your glass area (usually square).

Attached Image

Once you're happy with the size, simply select the [River Tool] and create a river right on top of it. Under [High LOD] and [Low LOD], select FXBlueZoneRefDiff for the [River Texture] and [Noise Texture] and select the FXBlueZoneRefNrm for the [Normal Map] and [Sparkle Texture]. Adjust your [Water Height] of the river, enable [Reflections On], select a [Color <RGB>] and crank up the [Alpha]. You can either enable [Additive Blending] and have a high Alpha or just lower the Alpha without blending. Also make sure that the [River Type] is a Standard River instead of a Simple Reflection.

Attached Image

Now for the invisible part: We can't add ground below it, as it is already at the glass height and invisible. In the game, this will result in a black area. We can however add large objects below it, like walls with a big square surface (like the ones in the images above). Just make sure to align them perfectly.

An effective way to do this is by placing a few next to eachother (left to right) that barely touch.

Attached Image

Now simply give them all the same y-value and they should align perfectly. You can double-click the y-value to select it. Just copy and paste.

Attached Image

Some objects have a convenient size that allows for even easier alignment: The grid! Go to [View] -> [Grid Settings]. Set the height to be the same as your ground +1 to display it properly. For the object that I used, a [Spacing] of 10 is needed. Now make sure to [Show Grid] and [Snap To Grid].

Attached Image

All that remains is lowering your new floor to simulate a fake bottom. You can add other objects on them to make it less boring. Lower them as well. When placing animated units, make sure they are not enabled to prevent them from spawning on ground level.

As a finishing touch, add a Skybox for the reflections [ByNativeType] -> [Civilian] -> [NONE] -> BlueZoneSkyA, BlueZoneSkyB or YellowZoneSkyA. Just pick one.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I hope it's a bit more clear now!*

Shiny roads?

You can lay a river on top of roads (follow along as much as you can) and set the [River Type] to Simple Reflection. Now you can really show off how hot your map is, so others can yell: NEAT!

This post has been edited by Zypherbullet: Nov 26 2014, 08:44 AM

+
# 17AggressivePanda Nov 26 2014, 08:17 AM
Omg this is brilliant should work more than perfectly with my masterplan. Thanks again zpher for your quality posts maybe you should make a discussion topic for this forum instead of everything being posted in it.

But I have to ask what is that outline you used for your "pit" thing (I forgot a word)

This post has been edited by AggressivePanda: Nov 26 2014, 08:21 AM

+
# 18Zypherbullet Nov 26 2014, 08:21 AM
QUOTE(AggressivePanda @ Nov 26 2014, 09:17 AM) *

Omg this is brilliant should work more than perfectly with my masterplan. Thanks again zpher for your quality posts maybe you should make a discussion topic for this forum instead of everything being posted in it.

Think that would work better than just linking all my posts in the first one?

But I have to ask what is that outline you used for your "pit" thing (I forgot a word)

I'm not quite sure I understand. Pit?

This post has been edited by Zypherbullet: Nov 26 2014, 08:45 AM

+
# 19AggressivePanda Nov 26 2014, 15:34 PM
Nvm your all good anyways I mean the hole with the glass you have some kind of wall objects what is their name in worldbuilder? Also how do I make it snow/rain in my map? Also how do I make sure all my objects rotate on an axis while placing them and be in a straight line?

Sorry I have so many questions. biggrin.gif

+
# 20Zypherbullet Nov 26 2014, 17:15 PM
QUOTE(AggressivePanda @ Nov 26 2014, 16:34 PM) *

Nvm your all good anyways I mean the hole with the glass you have some kind of wall objects what is their name in worldbuilder?

It's one of the German walls. Go find your own! wink.gif

Also how do I make it snow/rain in my map?

This does not work, unless you add it in the overrides.xml, compile the map and have the game read the stream manually. (I can explain it if you really want to, but you won't be able to share it that easily). The reason that Predatore's maps have rain and snow, is because CGF added the scripted assets into the map and compiled them all into one big .big file (the 1.02+ map pack). The installer alters the game skudef to read the Patch103 config, which in turn adds all the streams.

Also how do I make sure all my objects rotate on an axis while placing them and be in a straight line?

Sorry I have so many questions. biggrin.gif

Not quite sure what you mean. There is a post in this topic about rotation, maybe that can help you out?

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)